MEN ammo

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

ratters

MEN ammo

#1 Post by ratters »

Does anyone know anything about this ammo for TR, 7.62? Research on the Internet says that it is made in Germany and has a 146 grain bullet. I have been offered some at approx. £46/100 so I am very tempted if it is any good.
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: MEN ammo

#2 Post by 20series »

Try before you buy if you can, I found that they badly overpressured in my Remington.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Crikey Ratters I remember when it was 26/100

MEN is quite quick at around 2875 (ish) fps and will get you to 1000 yards with around 36.5 MOA. Downside is it can be quite grotty with visible external corrosions so not ideal for a svelt .308 chamber unless carefully cleaned first (green kitchen scourer is fine) If however you are running a nice loose 7,62x51 with a robust action then go for it.

I use it in my Accuracy International, but then again I also feed it Danish machine gun ammunition :goodjob:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#4 Post by kennyc »

it works fine in my Howa but the club Savage chokes on it :D a friends Remington eats it like theres no tomorrow, pretty good stuff if your chamber is happy with it, where are you based? ITL Shooting has it at £39x100
ratters

#5 Post by ratters »

I am in Devon, and have a 7.62x51 withh a Musgrave action and a Kreiger stainless steel barrel. I have only been shooting fullbore for 2 years so I am still feeling my way. How do I tell if my chamber is happy with it?
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Only way to confirm is chamber and fire a few looking for normal signs such as tight bolt lift. I would suggest cleaning any signs of external corrosion if evident. The brass is very good quality albeit berdan primed. FilippoMo of this forum will happily take your brass off your hands afterwards :lol:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
R.G.C

#7 Post by R.G.C »

ovenpaa wrote:Only way to confirm is chamber and fire a few looking for normal signs such as tight bolt lift. I would suggest cleaning any signs of external corrosion if evident. The brass is very good quality albeit berdan primed. FilippoMo of this forum will happily take your brass off your hands afterwards :lol:
Ovenpaa
I understand ussers of surplus MEN ammuition were reworking them as 'Mexican loads" with good results.

MEN made this ammo ether in Berdan or Boxer depending on customer.

I remember visiting MEN immediately after the Falklands war they were extremely busy making ammo for GB army with the exact RG headstamp. Only difference with the genuine RG was 2 stars in the headstamp. I saw this ammo used "as issued" at Bisley in 1985 or1986 not sure.
Friends there would not believe me and I had to show them the case yo convainnce. I still have here a few of thoose Nassau-made RG's.....

R.G.C
ratters

#8 Post by ratters »

Their website, http://www.men-defencetec.de/en/produkt ... 1-308-win/ , gives speed of 840m/s which is 2755 fps. How does this compare with RG or HPS? These are the only ammo I have shot so far!
Steve E

#9 Post by Steve E »

If the MEN is producing 2755 fps then it is going about 200fps slower than RG or RUAG. At these 'low' velocities the MEN may work out to 900yds but at 1000yds will be subsonic and probably losing stability
RG 155 dependant on batch can give velocities of 2930-3050 fps. RUAG is more consistant of 2960-3000 fps dependant on batch. Hps 155 is nominally 2930 but can be 50fps either way. These are actual velocities shot through my rifles. I think that the RUAG spec is for 2980 fps. A lot of it depends on what your barrel dimensions are. My target rifle barrels are Kreigers with .298'' bore with .3065 groove. These are considered as 'tight' and are '.308 Non Standard'.
To shoot 1000yds you generally need a 155 bullet that is going at least 2850fps to maintain accuracy. At shorter distances you can get away with less velocity. The MEN should shoot well out to 800yds after that just shoot it and find out.

Steve E
ratters

#10 Post by ratters »

Thanks Steve, my barrel is also a Kreiger, but I bought the gun secondhand so I have no idea of its dimensions. As you say , the only real answer is to try it.