Martini Henry Loads

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Mossy

Martini Henry Loads

#1 Post by Mossy »

Just joined the forum so will apologise if this topic has been covered already.

I'm wanting to reload for a Martini Henry. My plan is to use Hogdon 777, some form of filler to take up the air gap, card disc, feltwad soaked in lube, card wad and a 480 gn paper patched bullet. Thought I would start at 60 gns and slowly work up from there. I think the max original laod was 85 gns (by volume) of black powder.
Anyone have any comments or alternative recipes? I don't have a black powder license, so will use one of the substitutes. Heard that Pyrodex is quite corrosive (or residue is) hence my choice of 777.

Thanks
Sandgroper

Re: Martini Henry Loads

#2 Post by Sandgroper »

Have you thought about using Trail Boss?

http://207.36.233.89/articles2008/loadi ... /index.asp

From the link
A short addendum:

Originally, we had finished this article a month earlier for publication, but at the last minute, we found a reference in the 2007 Hodgson Annual Manual (see Trail Boss- It’s not just for Cowboy Action Shooting, by Charles Petty, page 34) for reloading, among other calibers, the 577/45 Martini Henry using their Trail Boss powder. This powder is specifically designed for low velocity lead loads, primarily used in cowboy action shooting. However, there was a load developed for the Martini Henry. So we decided to try it out.

The results were, well, interesting. We used the same weighted bullet at 405gr (the same Lee mould that is mentioned in the article above) and put it over the 12.0 grains of Trail Boss, no filler. The brass was the same brass that we tested with the black powder loads above, sized and primed as normal. The bullet was crimped into place for the same overall length.
Just a thought. :-P
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

To get the best out of the rifle and the cartridge i would urge you to get you black powder licence. It costs you nothing other than some time and the materials for your storage box.

You will find getting a good load far easier with BP.

Personally I will not use 777 as i have found to to pressure spike especially in bottle neck cases.

777 also needs to be thoroughly cleaned out after use so you will not gain anything there by using the stuff. From my experience it works best in ML firearms.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

What MK of Martini will you be shooting it in BTW?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Mossy

#5 Post by Mossy »

Thanks for the replies.
I've actually read the full arcticle that mentions the Trail Boss powder. It could be an option.
I don't any other black powder rifles, so wasn't planning to get my license but may have to have a re-think. Was just going the easier/quicker route for now. I've read that there are a couple of new (ish) substitutes that may be worth trying, if they ever reach the Uk shores! One called Blackhorn 209 and the other by Alliant called MZ I think.
The rifle is a MK II.
rufrdr

#6 Post by rufrdr »

I shoot a MkIV and use 85 gr of Pyrodex RS powder (FFg equivilent), reformed 24 brass shotgun cases, carded wool filler, grease cookie made from beeswax and olive oil, felt wad, .466 diameter 480 gr lead bullet. Accuracy for 5 rounds is pretty darn good but the barrel fouls pretty quick and has to be wet mopped out every 5 rounds to maintain acceptable accuracy. I don't think the grease cookie is melting enough when fired to coat the barrel and keep the fouling soft. Probably need more oil and less beeswax.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
Tower75

#7 Post by Tower75 »

Mossy wrote:Thanks for the replies.
I've actually read the full arcticle that mentions the Trail Boss powder. It could be an option.
I don't any other black powder rifles, so wasn't planning to get my license but may have to have a re-think.
I agree with dromia an Explosive licence really is worth it. It is free-of-charge, which I always thought was odd, but :shifty: they might find out.

You literally just fill out a form, send it off, then you receive your licence to keep explosives, you then need to write a letter to the Heath and Safety office and enclose a copy of your explosive licence and then they send you a permit to transport black power, you'll need the transport permit.

No cost to anything but time. However, you will need a wooden, section'd, box to contain your black powder. Whcih can either be bought or made up by yourself.
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

I kept my explosives licence even after I sold my last BP gun, at the time it was a nightmare to get as nobody could tell me how to go about it (Pre internet days) but these days it is well documented.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal