Opinions on Investarm Hushpower 20G ?

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

FarmerSim

Opinions on Investarm Hushpower 20G ?

#1 Post by FarmerSim »

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I'm wondering if anyone has an Investarm Hushpower 20G?

I ask as I could do with "removing" a significant number of corvids from the environs of the farmhouse relatively early in the morning - that is whilst the rest of the family are asleep (!!). I seem to have acquired this "project" following the little darlings decision to visit us at first light. ( which I know is not early in the winter, but come summer will be ).

Perhaps they could be put on the pill, or something? :mrgreen:

Specifically, what you think of the build quality & longevity of the base gun - I'm guessing that the Hushpower conversion is pretty good and that Saddlery and Gunroom reputable?? I've not had my sticky paws on one yet, but I'm guessing from what I have seen that the gun handles OK?

All advice welcome...

Don't fancy coughing up £800 for something "iffy".

Thanks in advance

ATB

Sim
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

Re: Opinions on Investarm Hushpower 20G ?

#2 Post by the running man »

I cant comment on the investstarm model,but i had the biakal model in .410,i was potty on .410 at the time and shot very very well with my yilditz s/s . the gun itself,well i wish i bought the mossberg really,purely for a few follow up shots and less time reloading the single barrell. the weight i never found a problem nor did i find the cylyndricle barrell a problem aiming. after shooting into a few piles of sand at diffrent distances you will find both your range and your point of aim.

A word on noise,the whole purpose of buying one,well im here to tell you that its not silent!!! With the 410 it sounded like a .22 air rifle without moderator....a chap at a lical clay shoot once brought along a 12g with the baffles built round it (quite a sight) and that did sound weird,it was like a sledge hammer smashing up a concreate driveway....modified but by no means silent....i couldent tell you wat the 20g would be like....by the way cleaning it is a bitch!!
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
Sim G

#3 Post by Sim G »

Agree with RM. My mate has a Hushpower .410 Mossberg. Not as quiet as you would think. Using subs improved the report, but still not near as quiet as you would hope.....

A moderated PCP air rifle instead?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
FarmerSim

#4 Post by FarmerSim »

Guys, thanks for the info thus far...

RM:- I was guessing that the larger "barrel" would just be something to get used to, and I'm grateful for your reassurance on that point. Though I've never thought of shooting into sand to do it!

I'm guessing that the moderator reduces the initial transient shock wave of the "explosion" by allowing it to expand into a finite space, and the "whoosh", ( Air rifle type sound ) is the shotgun "crack" so treated. One or two of the reviews of the 20G I've read do compare it to an Air rifle, so it all fits ( at least in my mind !!).
With the 12G being higher energy, I'm guessing that the moderator would perhaps have to be impractically large to achieve the same effect - hence the thud.

perhaps the 20G is the right size - or it is the largest guage for the limits of size and weight of a practical mod?

Do you think that the 410 would be waking everyone else up, behind double glazing and silly thick walls, if I am say, 15 to 20 yards away? I don't think an air rifle would.

Sim G:- Too loud for the intended use? I.E. 0500, crows (etc) on the roof, me 15 to 20 yards away and family behind double glazing and silly thick walls?

Had avoided PCP because of the cost, but, the hushpower tools are right up there, plus I'm not sure I could hit crows with one of them !! - but it could be a good excuse to improve my shooting!

I've not seen many hushpowers for sale secondhand - has anyone else? Does this mean they are a useful tool? I.E. That folk keep them? or...?

thanks again

ATB

Sim