F-Class Re-barrel options

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

F-Class Re-barrel options

#1 Post by 20series »

Peeps

I am looking at rebarrel options for the RPA Quadlock McMillan stock that I've bought , it's got a .308 bolt face as it's currently 6.5-284.

I certainly can't justify a 7MM WSM or SAUM based purely on barrel life , a straight .284 has been suggested as they give quite a bit more in the way of longevity.

Would a .260 Remington cut it as an F Open rifle??

Any pointers would be most welcome

Cheers
Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Ovenpaa

Re: F-Class Re-barrel options

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Given the .308 bolt face exotica such as the SAUM can be discounted, I would say keep with the existing 6,5-284 chambering as it is very effective, so have a play and see how you get on for a few hundred rounds, the 6,5 will work very well to 1000+ and I have some brass and load data for the 6,5-284. If you like it stick with it, if not go to a TrueFlite or Krieger or whatever takes your fancy when the existing is shot out and chamber it in straight .284 or .284 Shehane.

The 6,5-284 is going to be a lot cheaper to feed

:good:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Gun Pimp

#3 Post by Gun Pimp »

Alan,

A 260 rem is a fine cartridge but there are better for serious F Class shooting at ranges out to 1000 yards.

Your best option would be the 284Win - don't bother with the Shehane - Bill (Shehane) took out the taper to make extraction easier for 1000 yard benchrest where we have to run the gun quick (five shots in 10 - 15 seconds) This is not necessary for F Class so don't bog yourself down with having to get custom dies made etc.

Barrel-life should be around 2000 but again, with a Shehane, fireforming could use up 10% of its life.

But - what's wrong with 308???? If you don't shoot a 7mmWSM in Open class you are seriously undergunned (see table of equipment used in the Europeans on the F Class website). At least with a 308, you are on a par with the rest of the F/TR competitors.

With the Quadlock/McMillan you have the basis for a 100% competitive F/TR rifle. Choose your bullet, fit a good barrel and a decent scope, a lightweight bi-pod and you should be competitive.

Cheers
Vince
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by 20series »

Gun Pimp wrote:Alan,

A 260 rem is a fine cartridge but there are better for serious F Class shooting at ranges out to 1000 yards.

Your best option would be the 284Win - don't bother with the Shehane - Bill (Shehane) took out the taper to make extraction easier for 1000 yard benchrest where we have to run the gun quick (five shots in 10 - 15 seconds) This is not necessary for F Class so don't bog yourself down with having to get custom dies made etc.

Barrel-life should be around 2000 but again, with a Shehane, fireforming could use up 10% of its life.

But - what's wrong with 308???? If you don't shoot a 7mmWSM in Open class you are seriously undergunned (see table of equipment used in the Europeans on the F Class website). At least with a 308, you are on a par with the rest of the F/TR competitors.

With the Quadlock/McMillan you have the basis for a 100% competitive F/TR rifle. Choose your bullet, fit a good barrel and a decent scope, a lightweight bi-pod and you should be competitive.

Cheers
Vince
Vince, I already shoot in the F-TR class with my rebarreled Remington, I'm the tall bloke from Lincolnshire that you were pulling frames with at the September Diggle match!!

I think some serious soul searching is needed to decide for the best, I don't think I can justify another .308 although it would probably be a better setup. My only real concern would be the total weight, hopefully the rifle will be down at Dolphin this week and I can have a chat with Mik to discuss options.

Cheers

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Gun Pimp

#5 Post by Gun Pimp »

20series wrote: Vince, I already shoot in the F-TR class with my rebarreled Remington, I'm the tall bloke from Lincolnshire that you were pulling frames with at the September Diggle match!!

I think some serious soul searching is needed to decide for the best, I don't think I can justify another .308 although it would probably be a better setup. My only real concern would be the total weight, hopefully the rifle will be down at Dolphin this week and I can have a chat with Mik to discuss options.

Cheers

Alan
Alan,

I know it's you matey!

Another thing to consider if you are switching to Open Class - the front rest! Another £500 at least!

The problem with the GB FCA League - it's so competitive. We shoot against the World Champions at every League shoot.

I had a half-hearted stab at Open in the Europeans with a 6mm this year - it got me 45th place - I was third in F/TR last year!

Both classes are ultra-competitive but it's cheaper to be competitive in F/TR!

Cheers
Vince
Sim G

#6 Post by Sim G »

So, is F/TR the one limited to .223 and .308?

And from what you've said, other "accoutrements" such as rests are also specified?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#7 Post by 20series »

Sim G wrote:So, is F/TR the one limited to .223 and .308?

And from what you've said, other "accoutrements" such as rests are also specified?
Sim

Yes F-TR is limited to .223 and .308, the chambers have to be able to take a standard issue round, so no tight neck turned stuff. There are no specified dimensions for bipod or scope magnification limits but the all up MAX weight for a set up 8.25Kg or 18lb 2oz inclusive of rifle, bipod and scope.

Alan
Gun Pimp

#8 Post by Gun Pimp »

Sim G,

Have alook at the GBFCA website www.gbfclass.co.uk - there is an F/TR section with rules and pics.

Vince
Mr_Logic

#9 Post by Mr_Logic »

Thing I always worry about is turning up not knowing much! Still I shall overcome this in 2012 - new rifle from Osprey is on order...
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#10 Post by 20series »

Mr_Logic wrote:Thing I always worry about is turning up not knowing much! Still I shall overcome this in 2012 - new rifle from Osprey is on order...
Very nice some variation of the Savage or something else??

Alan