Rolling Block Actions

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Rolling Block Actions

#1 Post by dromia »

These are rolling block actions:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Rolling Block Actions

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Who is the rifle maker and what cartridge are they Dromia?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
jjvc

#3 Post by jjvc »

Bottom one is the Swedish Infantry Model 67/89 in 8x58R calibre. Top pic is the original 12.17x42R. :geek:

Here....http://dutchman.rebooty.com/6789.html

Rolling blocks and M94 6.5X55 carbines.:geek:

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

The top one is an original Remington made model 1867 Swedish Rolling Block in 12.7 x 44mm (Center fire conversion). These Remington made rifles are said to be quiet rare.

The second one is a Husqvarna made Swedish M1867/89 Rolling Block modified in 1892 to take the 8 x 58R smokeless cartridge.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

targetman

#5 Post by targetman »

Dromia....do you shoot both of the Rolling Blocks ?

I guess the 8X58R is a Section 1..so I guess you do shoot it, what loads, if I may ask?

The 12.7X42R is an interesting rifle and I would be very interested to know how you load for it.

I have a Danish 11.7X44R, which is in fact Remington made and is in truth an 11.7X35R having not been modified other than converted to centrefire. It originally used a low power smokeless load but I shoot it with a 350 grain .457" lead bullet and about 50 grains of black powder. I am still working up the loads, currently just fire forming the cases.

I like the Rolling Blocks, a lot, I used to have a .43" Egyptian which was in excellent condition and shot reasonably well at short range, say 200 yards. I sold that some years ago when I went back into Target Rifle competition. I still have the dies and a pile of cases, perhaps I should get another.
dromia
Site Admin

#6 Post by dromia »

Yes I do shoot them and the 8x58R is section 1, the 12.7 is obsolete so needs to go on your ticket before you can reload and shoot it.

Best load to date for the 8x58R is 35.5 gns of Vihtavuori 135 under a 255 gn Swede Nelson GEW 88 GC boolit sized to .321" around 14 BHN. The cases were Buffalo Arms converted 45-70 brass, I had some initial problems with the cases getting enough boolit retention for the powder to work consistently but annealing the case necks has solved this and it is a very accurate rifle. As always the sights are the let down but if I do my bit it will hold the black on a 100 yrd target at 100yrds rested. Chronoed average velocity 1670 fps.

The 12.7 mm load is 50 gns of Swiss No 5 with 1/8" compression, two card wads and a Lyman 355gn boolit sized to .515" BHN around 7 (lead roof flashing).

That load shoots very well keeping within the scoring rings of an NRA 100yrd target at 100yrds rested, again the sights are the problem methinks for better groups.

I also tried the Lee 500 gn with the same load, obviously heavier boolit it was pokier but didn't do so well with the groups opening up.

I tried using TPPH powder initially but it fouled very badly needing cleaning between shots, I'm sure that that powder is not what it used to be.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

dromia
Site Admin

#7 Post by dromia »

Any chance of some photos of that Danish 11.7 please?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

targetman

#8 Post by targetman »

Dromia....thank you for the loading information, most interesting.

New Bertram cases for both the 8X58R and 12.7X44R are available from Henry Krank, although their prices are a bit high I think. I have imported cases direct from Australia (home of Bertram Bullets), it was a bit of a struggle what with the supplier having to get an export licence, then having to pay VAT, customs duty and handling charge on top. However, I ended up saving nearly 30% over Kranks prices.

The bullet for the 8x58R is no problem but the one for the 12.7X44R is. I no longer cast my own and have got rid of my melt pot etc.,. The only bullet I have acces to is the one for the 50-70 Govt. which is about the right size at .513/514" but is a bit heavy at 550Grns !!! I will have to have a look around and see what else I can find.

Next thing is, where do I get an 8X58R, I have not seen one for sale for a very long time. The 12.7X44R is not difficult, there seems to be quite a few just coming on the market.

I will photograph the 11.7 Danish and post a picture when done.

The only other problem I have is what am I prepared to take off my ticket to make room for another Rolling Block. I have 22 rifles "on ticket" and no more room in the safe.......
dromia
Site Admin

#9 Post by dromia »

I was lucky with the 12.7 cases I had nigh on 60 Bertram lying around, lord alone knows where and when they came from.

Aye Kranks are expensive and as you say taking direct from Australia can work out cheaper depending on the exchange rate. I'm a big fan of Jim Allinson moulds from CBE but his prices have gone up and they are not so attractive pricewise as they once were.

Can't advise you on bulets as i cast all my own and never buy ready mades.

The 8 x 58R rifles are not seen that often over here and lot of them were sporterised in Sweden before sending to the US. As you say there are a few 12.7s around coming through the auctions but the prices are creeping up and the conditions are variable. The few I've looked at recently I didn't bid on as I didn't think there condition merited a punt.

Slots! You need more cabinets and a wheen of variations. :D

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

targetman

#10 Post by targetman »

A couple of pics of my Danish Rolling Block. You can see where the rearsight has had the original range settings deleted and a new extended leaf, with new markings, fitted over. Also the actual block with two firing pin holes, one at the bottom for the original rim fire cartridge and one in the centre. The tang shows the usual Remington legend and apart from a crown on the receiver there are no other markings. I believe this to be the Model 1867/96.
Attachments
DSCF1980.JPG
DSCF1979.JPG
DSCF1978.JPG