Scopes

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Convict_keeper

Scopes

#1 Post by Convict_keeper »

Hi Folks,

I am hoping to be in the possition to be purchasing a DTR in the next couple of weeks :0037: now my dilema is what glass do I put on it. All my shooting to date has been with Iron sights and therefore I would not know a good bit of glass if I fell over it. sign01

I know opinion differ greatly but if you Guys/Gals were looking at getting a new scope to shoot from 300 - 1000 yds and you had up to a max of £2500 to spend... what would you buy?

So far I like the looks of the Schmidt & Bender PM11, Nightforce NXS's & some of the Swarovski & Leupold scopes. but dont want to make my choice because something looks the business :G

I know I am looking at the top of the range scopes, but want to buy once have confidence it will last.

Thanks in advance .... and why oh why does the forum post your age :wales:

CK
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Scopes

#2 Post by dromia »

Convict_keeper wrote:. and why oh why does the forum post your age :wales:

CK
Check what you entered in your proflie settings.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Schmidt und Bender, accept no substitute.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

Profile settings, you can indicate the date and year or just the date or nothing :)

We of course like when people indicate at least the date because that means we can wish them happy birthday!
:shakeshout:
Christel
Site Admin

#5 Post by Christel »

You need to look through the glass, do you like the reticle and the glass, is it MOA (Nightforce) or MILRAD (some S&B)?

With the budget you have and out of the ones you mentioned I would go for the S&B.
No doubt about it.

It is however all down to what works for you. 8-)
John MH

#6 Post by John MH »

I have five S&B PMII scopes, 1.1-4x20, 1.5-6x20, 3-12x50, 5-25x56, 12-50x56. First three are Mildot P3 reticules and the two 56s are P4F Second Focal Plane. I'd go for a S&B.
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

I assume you mean DTA?

I shoot a mixture of 'scopes, Kahles, Nightforce and S&B in both MOA and Milrad and the choice of elevation klicks is a decision you need to make early on. I prefer Milrad, to me it is so much more intuitive however it is a metric system and a minority use that is mostly used for military and some LE sectors. Speak to the average shooter at the point and he/she will be using an MOA 'scope, will discuss wind and elevation in minutes and MPH and take them away from their imperial system and they will become distinctly uncomfortable. However if you dare to be different, are comfortable with m/sec, wish to range with your reticule and have no desire to work with 1/8 MOA turrets then Milrad is the way to go.

Invariably Milrad 'scopes will have coarser elevation and windage adjustment because they are designed for military use however this should not limit your shooting and clicks will simply equate to 1/10 Mil@100m or in simple terms 1cm@100m, or 10cm@1000m etc.

You will also need to decide on either an FFP or SFP reticule (First Focal Plane or Second Focal Plane) This means do you want a reticle that stays at a constant size as you zoom in and out (SFP) or one that increases in size as you increase magnification (FFP) the latter is suited to ranging using the reticule and is my preference.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
AFA82

#8 Post by AFA82 »

Nightforce 8-32x56 NXS is what I shoot. Its a quality scope, indestructable and can be used from 20m out to 1000m. It has served me well in F-class to Mil/Police tactical matches.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers
Convict_keeper

#9 Post by Convict_keeper »

ovenpaa wrote:I assume you mean DTA?

Yup, maybe posting half way through a bottle of Bushmills I should have checked a bit closer :oops:

So looks like the S&B I have me eye on will be the way to go

Thanks folks :cheers:

CK
sanselm

#10 Post by sanselm »

Before you spend that kind of money I would highly recommend you take a look at March, I shoot the 10-60 Tactical and woudn't part with it for anything bar another March. Have a word with Gary Costello, a chat and a look costs nothing and at this end of the scale mistakes are costly.

Just my 2 cents!

Stuart