Bolt action 44 mag

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

6.5shooter

Bolt action 44 mag

#1 Post by 6.5shooter »

Howdy folks,

I have gotten an itch that needs scratching lately for a bolt action 44 magnum for a little bit of gallery rifle and a bit of this and that.
My searching on the net has led me to this ruger.

http://www.ruger.com/products/rotaryMag ... odels.html

Does any one know anything about these guns if they are good bad or ugly?
Whats the accuracy like etc etc?
Members of my club shoot with lever actions but I fancy a bolt action instead.

Garry
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: Bolt action 44 mag

#2 Post by Sandgroper »

From what I understand Ruger has only recently reintroduced this model, so the demand in the US must be there. Plus they have just introduced a 357 version, which will give 5 in the mag insread of 4 for the 44 Mag.

This has a review to both rifles http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-M77-357.htm

HTH.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#3 Post by the running man »

I have that very rifle!! with a mod fitted its very accurate and is easy peasy to shoot,i use 8.5 gns of american select wich pushes it out to 1200 ish fps,i use it for rspca road kill call outs,and for fox,i am also a british record holder with it too!! (granet open class) ive a tuned single stage trigger and have the stock weighted w
ith lead inside to counter balance the mod...i have also used it for 200-300 m comps
For this i use another load,and yes i use expanding 240gn on quarry........will post some pix tonight wen i da get home!!
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
6.5shooter

#4 Post by 6.5shooter »

the running man wrote:I have that very rifle!! with a mod fitted its very accurate and is easy peasy to shoot,i use 8.5 gns of american select wich pushes it out to 1200 ish fps,i use it for rspca road kill call outs,and for fox,i am also a british record holder with it too!! (granet open class) ive a tuned single stage trigger and have the stock weighted w
ith lead inside to counter balance the mod...i have also used it for 200-300 m comps
For this i use another load,and yes i use expanding 240gn on quarry........will post some pix tonight wen i da get home!!

Hi runningman!
Youre shooting requirements match mine with this rifle, a bit of target and a bit of fox.
Do you ever use full house magnum loads? With something like H110 behind a 240 grain?
Do you only use lead bullets or do you use copper jacketed atall?
I am very interested in youre experience with this tifle and cartridge as I think its right up my street.
What size groups are you able to achieve at 50 and 100 yards?
I havent seen any of these rifles yet in the flesh.
Did you tune the standard trigger or fit a replacement?

Garry
the running man

#5 Post by the running man »

Garry,i only use lead ,the expanders i have are copper tipped thingys with lead,yes ive put full magtech 44mag through them and found the accurracy is not good,i only use alliant powders,i tried herco unique and bullseye,but settled on am select...for further distance i use 2400 ,the groups at 25m are the same hole when benched!! And at 50m they are the same (just gotta hold it steadier is all) with this load its flat out to 75m ish,dramatic drop after 200 yards,it drops 25inches at 200 yards!! So its only for close fox really.......if ure at tge saw i can bring it along for you to look over....the trigger and weighted butt was done for me. outside when you shoot it ,its vertually silent,less noise than a .17 and a little louder than a brno cz .22 with subs....ive had a few cross words with folk slaggin my gun off but all admit their sins and repent once theve shot it !!
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
6.5shooter

#6 Post by 6.5shooter »

Im in Northern Ireland but thanks for the offer!
I use vihtavuori powders for all other pistol calibres that I shoot so I can get that fairly easily, id say with a bit of persuasion im bound to be able to get alliant aswell.
I use 223 and 220 swift for fox but id just like something a little different for those close little buggers that call up close :)
What make of mod did you get to fit the bore size?
Id love to see afew pics of youre setup.

Garry
Flanker

#7 Post by Flanker »

I've often thought it would be fun to try gallery rifle with one of these, the problem of course is the magazine. It doesn't hold 6 rounds and so it wouldn't fit the discipline. There are some people who manufacture their own mags, but they're few and far between.
the running man

#8 Post by the running man »

2012-01-02_18.40.52-1[1].jpg
2012-01-02_18.42.18-1[1].jpg
Flanker

#9 Post by Flanker »

Coool!
6.5shooter

#10 Post by 6.5shooter »

Thankyou for sharing the photos of youre rifle!
I will now have to go and get me one of these subsonic badboys! :)