US raffling off M24 Remingtons

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

US raffling off M24 Remingtons

#1 Post by Mike357 »

And the US think they have it bad when it comes to public ownership of firearms.

Can you imagine the meltdown over here if the Govt raffled off surplus AIs?

http://www.guns.com/remington-and-the-u ... ifles.html
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Sim G

Re: US raffling off M24 Remingtons

#2 Post by Sim G »

And the sad thing is, our government were just as adept to releasing "official" firearms on to the civilian market........ Until the dreaded PC brigade, hand-wringers and bed-wetters!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dr. Strangelove

#3 Post by Dr. Strangelove »

I wonder what became of the old L98A1 Cadet GP rifles? They were straight pull, and weren't converted from A1s so wouldn't be S5...
froggy

#4 Post by froggy »

Salut

US Army are Surplussing 4,000 M24 Sniper Rifles = 4,000 happy US citizens :good:

If only the French administration had the same attitude ...
Back in the 90's France flogged and dupped its stock of MAS49/56, which is one of the best semi-auto high-power, onto the US market with a clause of non re-turn to specifically prevent French shooters, whose taxes incidently paid for the guns on the 1st place, to buy one.
Today it is a highly sought after & nearly impossible to source rifle to shoot TAR (Service Rifle Competition) commanding prices around €uro 800 in France while they are plentyful in the USA for as low as € 254 (U$d 300)... :cool2:

Oh well at least somebody is happy in this story ...
Sim G

#5 Post by Sim G »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:I wonder what became of the old L98A1 Cadet GP rifles? They were straight pull, and weren't converted from A1s so wouldn't be S5...
Butchered for spares that can be used in the new semi auto cadet rifle and the remained chopped up, so I'm lead to believe.....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Dr. Strangelove

#6 Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Sim G wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:I wonder what became of the old L98A1 Cadet GP rifles? They were straight pull, and weren't converted from A1s so wouldn't be S5...
Butchered for spares that can be used in the new semi auto cadet rifle and the remained chopped up, so I'm lead to believe.....
Ah, shame, they'd have made for fun plinking!
Dr. Strangelove

#7 Post by Dr. Strangelove »

On another note, I've asked a friend in the States who is going to SHOT to buy five tickets for me, here's hoping! fingerscrossed
Gaz

#8 Post by Gaz »

Sim G wrote:
What spares? The critical parts in the L98A1s were built to A1 spec, not A2, so there isn't a whole lot which is interchangeable between the two.

I'm fairly convinced they're all gathering dust at Donnington or somewhere having been forgotten about.
Sim G

#9 Post by Sim G »

It is my belief the the L98A2 semi cadet rifle is built from L85A1 rifles that were moth-balled and not upgraded to the A2 by HK. Likewise, the L98A1 was derived from the L85A1.

So as both cadet weapons were based on the same original platform, there are a number of inter-changeble parts.

Gaz

#10 Post by Gaz »

Sim G wrote:It is my belief the the L98A2 semi cadet rifle is built from L85A1 rifles that were moth-balled and not upgraded to the A2 by HK. Likewise, the L98A1 was derived from the L85A1.

So as both cadet weapons were based on the same original platform, there are a number of inter-changeble parts.
I handled L98A1s, L98A2 and L85A2s as a cadet and later as an instructor. The L98A2 was converted from the L85A2 by replacing the trigger mechanism insert and blanking off the change lever holes in the receiver. Quite a few of the early L98A2s in service clearly had L85A2 markings overpainted on the mag housing. I think it's likely that a lot of mothballed L85A1s became L98A2s but I don't know for sure.

The L98A1 is externally similar to the L85A1 but doesn't share that many components with it. From memory the trigger mech, barrel, gas block, handguard, rearsight/carry handle, foresight blade, barrel weight (in place of the flash eliminator), barrel extension and cocking handle mechanism were the non-interchangeable parts.

The SA80 fleet upgrade to A2 standard involved replacing almost all the pressure-bearing parts in any case. A1 and A2 parts aren't regarded as interchangeable - tho, of course, they will fit.

Anyway, thread diversion over!