22C Wildcat

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
woody_rod

Re: 22C Wildcat

#21 Post by woody_rod »

ovenpaa wrote: As an example after zeroing my 7mm at 200m it was .375 MOA (3 clicks) low at 1000 yards.
That could also be showing you that your scope is not giving you exact minutes. I doubt many do, I know there are slight differences in TR rear sights, simply due to the very small errors being a lot bigger the more it deviates from the zero point.
Blu

#22 Post by Blu »

Hey I just noticed you have the same gun cleaning stand/thingy/vice as me. (That thing your rifle is resting on)

Blu :twisted:
Ovenpaa

#23 Post by Ovenpaa »

woody_rod wrote:
ovenpaa wrote: As an example after zeroing my 7mm at 200m it was .375 MOA (3 clicks) low at 1000 yards.
That could also be showing you that your scope is not giving you exact minutes. I doubt many do, I know there are slight differences in TR rear sights, simply due to the very small errors being a lot bigger the more it deviates from the zero point.
I checked the tracking at 100 up/down and left/right by 10 MOA and it was fine however I didn't try it at the 30MOA+ she needs for 1200 so it could well be the index rings are out at the upper end.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
woody_rod

#24 Post by woody_rod »

ovenpaa wrote:
woody_rod wrote:
I checked the tracking at 100 up/down and left/right by 10 MOA and it was fine however I didn't try it at the 30MOA+ she needs for 1200 so it could well be the index rings are out at the upper end.
Small errors are cumulative on any threaded item. If the required thread pitch for exact MOA at 1000 yards is 35,5tpi (just for an example - with the appropriate radial divisions), but the closest in reality is 36tpi, this adds up to a lot at 30MOA from the zero. Then there is end float, play in the threads, division accuracy of the turrets/knobs etc.

Personally, I don't really care what my sights say a minute is, it only matters that I know exactly what a minute is ON THAT sight. In AU, we have crazy conversations about Australian minutes and UK minutes. Most people (read 99,9%) don't know what the difference is. Now we (I can only speak for myself here in AU) are in the 21st century, the idea of using anything other than "true" minutes is absurd.
Ovenpaa

#25 Post by Ovenpaa »

woody_rod wrote:Personally, I don't really care what my sights say a minute is, it only matters that I know exactly what a minute is ON THAT sight. In AU, we have crazy conversations about Australian minutes and UK minutes. Most people (read 99,9%) don't know what the difference is. Now we (I can only speak for myself here in AU) are in the 21st century, the idea of using anything other than "true" minutes is absurd.
I am not sure I should ask at this stage....... Aussie to UK minutes? one MOA is not 1 inch@100 yards but is used as a close enough for most people I know over here.

I work off tables, I know what I need at say 600m or 900m and as I do not need a 'first shot kill' I am happy to move a click or two either way with the sighters. I am used to 1/10th Milrads (1 click =1cm/100m) which is pretty close to .344MOA so I am onto a looser if someone helpfully tells me "The wind is 4MOA today" which is nearly 12 clicks. neary but not quite, as it requires some hurried mental sums, but then the wind is always 'nearly but not quite'... For me the important thing is knowing how much a click moves the POI at a given distance and I still maintain the graduations can be in anything, even Woolly Badgers as long as you know what that means to your shooting.

I have an old Australian sight for my SMLE that came off a well known Australian auction site years ago, I know how much a click moves the POI but to read the vernier scale I need a magnifying glass. Old eyes yada yada..
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal