22C Wildcat

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
HeatherW762
Home club or Range: OSM, NRA Bisley

Re: 22C Wildcat

#11 Post by HeatherW762 »

Pink is always good, goes well with my powder blue swing..... Wandered into Fultons one day to discuss something work-wise and Colin came out with the pot of pink and an old stock that he had done a test patch on. Needless to say I fell in love, ran (well, walked very fast) back to the office and did the girlie 'come to bed' eyes ploy on hubby Chris - it worked, as usual, and I now have an abfab pink RPA. :D

Heather
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)
Blu

#12 Post by Blu »

I've deleted it now but my wife sent me a photo the other day, let me explain. About a month back my wife and I were at the range and she shot my 6.5 Grendel for the first time, well she just loved it. Last week I'm talking to my pal on Skype who lives in NZ and the conversation got around to the Grendel, well old radar who was next door calls through " are you talking about my Grendel" :o YOUR GRENDEL says I. well it went back and forth my Grendel, no it's my grendel now.

So after a while I gets an email from my wife and it is a photo of the Grendel she is holding but she cropped the pic to show only the forearm and her holding it with the message, 'My Grendel.... talk to the hand".

I'm going to have to make sure it's kept hidden away because if she reads this then one day I'm going to come home to a pink grendel, I'd never be able to shoot it again, could you imagine the p1ss take I'd get at the range :oops:

Blu :twisted:

Blu
HeatherW762
Home club or Range: OSM, NRA Bisley

#13 Post by HeatherW762 »

Hubby Chris can been seen regularly carrying my pink rifle for me but shooting it....... However, when we hosted the Chris Evans sporting challenge this year, he ended up shooting it as his eyesight was too bad for iron sights. Apparently it was discussed at great length on the show over the next few weeks :)

Heather
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)
Blu

#14 Post by Blu »

Heather, see there you go, the poor guy will probably never let him live that down, oh the embarrassment of it :oops:

Blu :twisted:
Ovenpaa

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

We sat and talked about the next project tonight (Other than the hunting comp rifle I want to build for 2011) We covered the potential chambering, the Action and Barrel but I don’t remember the colour pink being mentioned.

Hmm.. OK maybe a fleeting mention of pink but that was all.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
The Gun Pimp

#16 Post by The Gun Pimp »

christel wrote:The Gun Pimp,

I did actually think you had built one. I find the case preparation fairly simple with the 22C, only disadvantage is of course that I can't buy cartridges for it when out and about.

Yes pink :D

Am I right when I say that your Dasher doesn't fly as fast as mine?

You are absolutely right about the anonymity of my rifle, to most people it is "just" an ordinary Savage.
Christel,

The Dasher is quite an efficient little case - it will shove the 80 grainer out at over 3400fps. Mind you, with the extra case capacity of your round you should match this easily.

When Stuart and I were sorting out a load for you, we didn't want to be exceeding MOD range velocities (3275fps) so we used a slower powder (H4831SC) than the Dasher (H4350). However, the H4350 may be a tad fast for the 22 Christel so, as always, be careful if you experiment.

Vince
woody_rod

#17 Post by woody_rod »

christel wrote: Cartridge is a 6.5x47 necked down to .224. All the details about the necking down and case preparation has been posted in the Reloading section on this forum.
I use H4831SC 42.1 gr and 80 gr Moly Coated Sierra Matchking. The cartridge flies ultra fast. Muzzle velocity is 3250 feet a sec.
4831SC is the Aussie made AR2213SC, which is usually used in things like 6,5 x 284 and 300WSM etc. I wonder if you are burning all the powder inside the barrel?

That sure is a big case for a 224 cal bullet. It would go nicely with 90 grain bergers at around 2900-3000fps. Sounds a bit like a 220 Swift.

People here are getting 3000-3100 fps from their std 223 Rem's, so it is a lot of work for the extra bit. I do agree it is good to have something different on the range, rather than be a sheeple and follow others.
Ovenpaa

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

I agree the 90 grain Berger looks to be a suitable candidate for the future, we have discussed it at length as recently as just last night. I feel the extra 10 grains would just offer that little bit of help in windy conditions where the little SMK 80 can be knocked around. Current powder burn looks to be good and accuracy is outstanding.

Minor issues are the markers don't always spot the holes in the target when she moves out to 1000/1200, I think the assumption is anything hitting the target should leave a bigger hole so they literally fail to spot the fall of shot. This provokes a fair few message 4's (Check the bloody target!) Having marked for her in the past I can understand the problem as the little 22C hits very differently to larger calibres.

Plus sides are it looks like a normal rifle. She signs her rifle in as a 22C which has caused people to point out it is a long range day on more than one occasion. I remember being as 1200 when a radio message came from the Butts asking what the bloke on target 6 was shooting, the RCO called back it was a woman with a 22 which made me smile. Sadly they dropped the target as she took the next shot which provoked a distinctly un-lady like response which caused a few sniggers from the squad.

Exterior ballistics are odd with the 22C. Running the numbers through JBM Ballistics or similar agrees with her drops until she gets to 900 yards but from that point they start to differ significantly, as if it starts to shoot flatter and by the time it gets to 1200 she needs 3 MOA less than predicted. This could be down to so many factors including 'scope but everything seems to check out OK. Just one of those oddities I guess.

What I will add is I am surprised the 22-7.5x47 is not seen more often, it clearly has a lot of potential.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
The Gun Pimp

#19 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Exterior ballistics are odd with the 22C. Running the numbers through JBM Ballistics or similar agrees with her drops until she gets to 900 yards but from that point they start to differ significantly, as if it starts to shoot flatter and by the time it gets to 1200 she needs 3 MOA less than predicted. This could be down to so many factors including 'scope but everything seems to check out OK. Just one of those oddities I guess.
Ovenpaa,

Unfortunately, most ballistic programmes are the result of 'interpolation' rather than actual chronographed velocities at every distance. Not surprising really when you think about it.

However, the CD prog. that Brian Litz includes with his book is based on actual measurements - worth buying for this alone.

Cheers
Vince
Ovenpaa

#20 Post by Ovenpaa »

The book is well worth having regardless and the Litz App used to be free to download from the Berger site as well. (He was also nice enough to write it as a Java app so it will run in Linux) The downside is it also goes wrong for her beyond 1000. The good news is it is pretty well spot on for our other rifles. Ballistic Apps in general can be a good substitute for physical data and very handy for temperature extremes and initial elevation after zero.

As an example after zeroing my 7mm at 200m it was .375 MOA (3 clicks) low at 1000 yards. Remember the good old days of establishing your drops with a new calibre by walking out 100 yards at a time?
/d

Shed Journal