Precision Rifle Services

Had a good experience with a gun shop or rifle maker? Found a good deal? Tell us about it. Had a bad experience, TELL THE GUN SHOP!

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Posting of negative comments in the Gunshop section could bring unwanted criticism on the forum, having said that it is important to let members know if dealings with a Gunshop were less than ideal for you. To that end we will allow what will be known as the 'Scotsgun Ruling'

The Scotsgun Ruling:

>Add Gun Shop here<

"As I've yet to have a 'positive' experience there, I'll refrain from commenting further."

Beyond that please take it up with the Gunshop, if you do resolve the issue in a agreeable manner let us know!

This rule applies to the entire forum.
Sandgroper

Precision Rifle Services

#1 Post by Sandgroper »

My wife and I spent a very pleasant afternoon with Callum Ferguson of Precision Rifle Services.
Very friendly and helpful, a great bloke. We were there to look at some stock he had received from the estate of a deceased collecter. I was like a kid in a sweets shop, I didn't know where to look.

There is a number of things I'm interested in so I'll be back on Monday to resume looking and make a (very big) wish list. :shock: So far my wife approves of my choices and has a number of items she's also tempted by. :shakeshout:

If you're up this way, he's well worth visiting. :good:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ovenpaa

Re: Precision Rifle Services

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Callum has a serious reputation when it comes to building rifles, it would be good to have a look at what he does and stocks.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#3 Post by meles meles »

Callum Ferguson.

Now there's a good solid name. Sounds like a good bloke too.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Sandgroper

#4 Post by Sandgroper »

ovenpaa wrote:Callum has a serious reputation when it comes to building rifles, it would be good to have a look at what he does and stocks.
He's quite busy at the moment - everywhere I looked there seemed to be stocks, barrels and actions - fascinating. I certainly couldn't do justice to one his rifles!

We had a brief talk about F-Class and he admitted that you need plenty of spending money to stay competitive.

The stock I was looking at was mainly milsurp and TR rifles, something he admitted he knew very little about, but it seems that's why this collector had made him an executor. He was very grateful, when I confirmed some details regarding some of the rifles - I made it clear I was no expert! :oops:

All in all a very down to earth person and well worth visiting. :good:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
desparado

#5 Post by desparado »

IMO, Callum is certainly top of the full-time professional gunsmiths.
He's a very knowledgeable and meticulous perfectionist; you can learn a lot from a talk with him.
Some of his beautiful woodwork could almost be exhibited in an art gallery.
The three F-class rifles he has made for me over the years are examples of outstanding workmanship.
Expensive perhaps, but you get what you pay for.
MrD

#6 Post by MrD »

Callum is a gentleman. Nothing ever seems to be too much trouble. Even though I couldn't do one of his rifles justice, if I ever win the lottery............ :55:

@sandgroper
I was up there several times before he had sold any.... the choice was amazing. I was lucky enough to get a No4 Trials and a 1915 SMLE. There's still at least one there I would love to own, but asking for 3 303s on my first certificate seemed a bit cheeky, plus don't think my bank account could have stood it.

It's good to see such a professional working away in such a remote place. I could just imagine the look on the driver's face when he delivered the lathe up that road :shock:

Donald
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/