Continuing the process of restoring the NRA

News from the National Rifle Association (UK)

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please note that the NRA section has been locked until further notice.
HeatherW762
Home club or Range: OSM, NRA Bisley

Continuing the process of restoring the NRA

#1 Post by HeatherW762 »

From the NRA Website:

In the last Journal, I described some of the steps we have taken in order to restore the finances of the organisation. I would now like to share some of the further steps in that process, covering both restructuring and redundancies within the organisation and also price increases for 2012.

Previously I have described to you that we had made a number of staff redundant and were putting a number of other staff at risk of redundancy. We have continued that process with a number of staff given notice of redundancy in January. I will not list those staff here as it is a private matter for them and in any event, the process is not wholly complete at this time. Clearly this is a difficult time for the organisation and in particular those individuals.

By the time this process is complete, we will have reduced the staff establishment from 62 in June 2011 to 50. This is a very substantial change in organisation and has been weighted towards non-customer-facing roles so as to minimise the impact on our delivery to Members and other customers.

In order to further minimise that impact on our ability to deliver to our customers, and to eliminate inconsistencies between staff, I am changing staff terms and conditions. Previously some staff were on a 35 hour week, whilst others were on a 40 hour week. Once we introduce new staff contracts, all staff will be on a standard 40 hour week. This will be without any increase in pay. I will also be introducing a rota for managers (including myself) such that there is always a manager on duty during shooting hours at the weekend. This will be to address any issues from customers at the weekend.

I hope that you will therefore understand that the Trustees and the staff are serious in our efforts to restore the position of the NRA. These are very substantial and painful changes and we are determined that they will be successful.

It is not, however, enough. Eliminating our financial deficit is our first objective, but we must generate a sufficient surplus to finance our strategic objectives both at Bisley and in the wider national landscape. Rebuilding our facilities at Bisley and supporting the development of facilities elsewhere costs money and 'break-even' hardly meets this need.

Consequently we have approved a series of price increases which average 10% for 2012, although almost 5% of this simply reflects current inflation levels. Full details are on the website. Clearly these will not be welcomed, and indeed we are implementing them with great reluctance. It is difficult to see how we can avoid this. We have taken cuts in the wage bill as far as we can, we are going through the rest of our cost base as aggressively as possible, but need to be mindful of continuing to deliver to you. We are looking to increase non-shooting revenues wherever possible but recessionary pressures constrain that. Equally many of those opportunities would conflict with the shooting calendar. That leaves us with the unpalatable but necessary step of increasing our prices.

We will continue to keep you posted with the changes we are initiating, and I very much hope that we will be able to start giving you good news soon.

Derrick Mabbott
Acting Chief Executive
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)
karen

Re: Continuing the process of restoring the NRA

#2 Post by karen »

Give us a chance - theres more to come!
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Great, get it posted :good:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
karen

#4 Post by karen »

Its there!

And hopefully in your Inbox too!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

So what is the actual financial deficit?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dangermouse

#6 Post by Dangermouse »

I am just thinking aloud, and without any real knowledge..

Has the organisation not recently paid of the costs of the Lord Roberts centre / 2 million, which was never paid by the games? One would have thought that the organisation would have been in a better position after that, although I do accept that the interest was unusually low.

Also, I assume that the staff are not getting a massive pay hike if anything this year, so why with fewer staff are the costs going up? Surely the money saved on wages will be used on infrastructure etc.

I am sure that costs going up was debated long into the night, personally I feel that it is better to have more people through the door using the various facilities and purchasing extras like ammunition, than fewer with less money to spend.
I wonder if membership will fall going into 2013?

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
rox

#7 Post by rox »

HeatherW762 wrote:price increases which average 10% for 2012
What is it they say about statistics?

The key rate (half-day, high season, weekend gallery range) increases from 38.00 to 44.00 = 16%

karen

#8 Post by karen »

Dangermouse wrote:I am just thinking aloud, and without any real knowledge..

Has the organisation not recently paid of the costs of the Lord Roberts centre / 2 million, which was never paid by the games? One would have thought that the organisation would have been in a better position after that, although I do accept that the interest was unusually low.
Er no - Lord Roberts Centre nothing to do with us!

However yes we have recently paid off a lot of money which was in part due to Commonwealth Games

Love

Karen
karen

#9 Post by karen »

dromia wrote:So what is the actual financial deficit?
Dunno! I have heard different figures being bandied about but until I see something in writing that is in the public domain I don't think any of us can comment

Love
Karen
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

Do you have any idea when we will be told, Karen?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/