Imperial - loss runner?

News from the National Rifle Association (UK)

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please note that the NRA section has been locked until further notice.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Imperial - loss runner?

#81 Post by dromia »

Dangermouse wrote:
however it is an accident waiting to happen in my opinion as there is no accredited course to provide a paper trail for club chairmen to show the competency of the people they are signing off.
Dromia,

If I read this correct then in the case of my club this statement would not be true. As our chairman saw the possibility of things landing in his lap if it all went wrong, and he has worked too hard for his pension for it to be all taken from him in the final years, my club has a documented training program, which came from the NRA. The training program is gone through with every member and is signed off by a RO before the chairman is prepared to sign the safety certificates.
However as mentioned before, clearly not every chairman is covering their own behind as last year we were still seeing people on the range who clearly had no idea how to handle firearms that they had been signed off on. An approach that I do not think is in the best interests of the sport to say the least,

DM

The problem is that the NRA course is for target shooters with bits and bobs for other disciplines bolted on, I have adapted it somewhat but the stuff that comes with puts most of my shooters off because they neither target shoot nor shoot at Bisley. The zeroing question for example only relates to 7.62 and the Bisley zero range, I could go on. So once again the NRA has delivered for TR shooters who shoot at Bisley and left the rest high and dry.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
bobbob

#82 Post by bobbob »

christel wrote:So does that mean there is no need for a forum?
If there was no need for a forum this one wouldn't be the success it is. We have laughed, cried, argued, shared good and bad news, told tales, shared pictures, learnt lots, supported people, bought, sold, given and been given bits and pieces, made new friends even if we haven't met each other. This forum is needed and very much wanted. :goodjob:
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
karen

#83 Post by karen »

dromia wrote: The problem is that the NRA course is for target shooters with bits and bobs for other disciplines bolted on, I have adapted it somewhat but the stuff that comes with puts most of my shooters off because they neither target shoot nor shoot at Bisley. The zeroing question for example only relates to 7.62 and the Bisley zero range, I could go on. So once again the NRA has delivered for TR shooters who shoot at Bisley and left the rest high and dry.
You are right in that is WAS that way but it has changed for just that reason. The probationary course has changed completely so that you do an introductory safety-based course followed by specific modules and shooting your own preferred type of firearm with the NRA Shooting Club.
The new modular Probationary training course is now being offered at Bisley. Probationers complete an initial introductory module on safety and a general introduction to target shooting, followed by one or more discipline specific skills modules. They must also shoot under supervision with the NRA Shooting Club for a period before they can become full members of the NRA. Probationary training is scheduled at weekends, but individual mid week lessons are also available on request.

The modular skills courses at Bisley are also open to NRA members who want to take up a new shooting discipline. The courses offered include: target rifle, gallery rifle, F Class/scoped rifle and service (iron sight) rifle. These courses, which run in conjunction with the modular probationary training programme, include basic instruction up to the standard for a shooter's Certificate of Competence. If you are interested in learning about a new shooting discipline contact the Director of Training, Phyllis Farnan, for further details.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#84 Post by dromia »

How long has that being running? How is that course being distributed to NRA club instructors and chairmen? How do you get the material?

Jeez you wouldn't think I was an NRA member, an NRA qualified RCO, an NRA qualified club instructor and a committee man of an NRA affiliated club considering how little the NRA lets me know about its affairs and the odd thing that it does that might be of some use to me and I have to find out about it on an open forum. Add communication to the list of things the NRA can do better.

I notice is says the modular skills course are available at Bisley, so maybe that explains why I don't know anything because I don't shoot at Bisley.

What a confusing shambles.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#85 Post by Andy632 »

You are right in that is WAS that way but it has changed for just that reason. The probationary course has changed completely so that you do an introductory safety-based course followed by specific modules and shooting your own preferred type of firearm with the NRA Shooting Club.
When are they intending telling us about these changes????????????? First I've heard of it. :o
Got to echo dromia here.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
karen

#86 Post by karen »

Um fairly sure it was all in the Journal at the time - try Spring 11 page 15 - and it was on the website

Not sure how else we can tell people or do you expect us to call every member personally? :shock:

Well you now have a Journal with lots of pics and ads but very little info so I guess the situation isn't going to improve :bad:

Love

karen
dromia
Site Admin

#87 Post by dromia »

Maybe if it had been in the new journal format I would have noticed it, instead of trying to stop myself screaming from boredom trying to wade through the old style format and content.

Why isn't included in the electronic newsletters you send round and isn't there and an email list of club instructors to whom this news might have been targeted. Has it been distributed in any other way other than the Journal?

As for the web site I have not had much luck finding anything on it, the search function doesn't seem to want to find anything for me and I don't think I'm alone in that.

I think a resend of this important information and detail about it would be a good idea.

Who were the course materials sent to?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Dangermouse

#88 Post by Dangermouse »

My club has been running this from the start, but our attitude has always been a case of this is the way it is so lets get on with it and if anything we do more than is required.
Every new probationary member pays for their own training pack (£15? from memory), so it has not affected the clubs finances at all. Although we have found that to date we find it best to run probationer only shoots rather than trying to merge it with a club shoot.

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
karen

#89 Post by karen »

Look just because you haven't bothered to read something don't then slag off the media that had the information in it.

It might have been emailed - I don't remember emailing it (mainly because it was in the Journal) but someone else may have done. My view is that we shouldn't repeat Journal articles unless really necessary as not everyone wants duplication of information.

I have no idea who the Training Department sent it to but I am sure Phyllis would have publicised it any way she could.

The Journal is THE ONLY WAY of contacting all members as many are not on email.

Your blaming of the NRA for the fact you did not know something because you did not bother to read the Journal is quite frankly typical.

And yes I do take offence at your comments abut the Journal which I edited and produced - why do you say such things if not to upset me? Well congratulations you have!

Karen
dromia
Site Admin

#90 Post by dromia »

It is not my intention to upset you Karen and I'm sorry if I have, but I say as I find and I found reading the old journal as interesting as watching paint drying.

I also think that it is a sad reflection that the NRA thinks so little of its courses that they are only publicised once. Something like this you should be singing from the rooftops even if its only to shut up people like me who care about the NRA.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!