Imperial - loss runner?

News from the National Rifle Association (UK)

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please note that the NRA section has been locked until further notice.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Imperial - loss runner?

#71 Post by dromia »

The NRA contirbution to MoD range use is recognised, however if the NRA was not there I am sure that the baton would be picked up by shooters at many levels, we are constantly as clubs negotiating with land mark and the regiments for barrack ranges with no support from the NRA.

I also wonder how active the NRA would be with the MoD if Bisley wasn't an MoD range.

The Safe Shooters certificate was negotiated by the NRA as a way of keeping us shooting when the MoD/landmarc brought in the muzzle energy however it is an accident waiting to happen in my opinion as there is no accredited course to provide a paper trail for club chairmen to show the competency of the people they are signing off. If something goes seriously wrong on an MoD range and the blame game starts what cover do the signing of chairmen have as to the standards that need to be met fro the certificate to be issued?

I am sure that if you are a target Rifle shooter then the NRA as the governing body has some merit, however equally a lot of shooters have no interest in Target Rifle, shooting for a country or competitive shooting in any form. Who represents us?

All is not as rosy as it appears methinks.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
cheeky

#72 Post by cheeky »

christel wrote:I do not know the answer either, however what I do know is that the NRA is the only organisation that has shown it's face on this forum and I do not think I am being bigheaded when I say that within shooting circles this forum counts
No disrespect but I don't think it does. Hardly anybody I shoot with knows about it. More know about long-range.com set up by US Palma. But most, to the best of my knowledge, just get on with shooting in real life and couldn't give a stuff about fora like this.
Christel
Site Admin

#73 Post by Christel »

cheeky wrote:
christel wrote:I do not know the answer either, however what I do know is that the NRA is the only organisation that has shown it's face on this forum and I do not think I am being bigheaded when I say that within shooting circles this forum counts
No disrespect but I don't think it does. Hardly anybody I shoot with knows about it. More know about long-range.com set up by US Palma. But most, to the best of my knowledge, just get on with shooting in real life and couldn't give a stuff about fora like this.
Says more about you and your mates than it does about this forum.
Dangermouse

#74 Post by Dangermouse »

however it is an accident waiting to happen in my opinion as there is no accredited course to provide a paper trail for club chairmen to show the competency of the people they are signing off.
Dromia,

If I read this correct then in the case of my club this statement would not be true. As our chairman saw the possibility of things landing in his lap if it all went wrong, and he has worked too hard for his pension for it to be all taken from him in the final years, my club has a documented training program, which came from the NRA. The training program is gone through with every member and is signed off by a RO before the chairman is prepared to sign the safety certificates.
However as mentioned before, clearly not every chairman is covering their own behind as last year we were still seeing people on the range who clearly had no idea how to handle firearms that they had been signed off on. An approach that I do not think is in the best interests of the sport to say the least,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Steve E
Home club or Range: Where ever I shoot.

#75 Post by Steve E »

christel wrote:
cheeky wrote:
Says more about you and your mates than it does about this forum.
Actually I think that Cheeky is right on the nail.
Since I have been on this forum I have tried to spread the word around my shooting companions. The general consensus from them is that it is not relevant. My shooting companions cover a wide variety of disciplines some are NRA members some are not. For the majority they just get on and do it and see no need to join a forum.
Christel
Site Admin

#76 Post by Christel »

So does that mean there is no need for a forum?

I thought the advantage of meeting like minded people, to share a target, exchange views, sell/buy things are relevant to us shooters?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#77 Post by dromia »

Shooters are people just like everybody else, some like this sort of place some don't.

It is horses for courses.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#78 Post by mr smith »

Steve E wrote:
The general consensus from them is that it is not relevant.

It's not just the NRA thats stuck,not willing to move forward.One of the members of my club offered to set up a website to hopefully attract new members.He tried to show what the website might look like and what could be included,frankly none of them were interested and preferred to blether amongst each other.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#79 Post by Mike357 »

mr smith wrote:
Steve E wrote:
The general consensus from them is that it is not relevant.

It's not just the NRA thats stuck,not willing to move forward.One of the members of my club offered to set up a website to hopefully attract new members.He tried to show what the website might look like and what could be included,frankly none of them were interested and preferred to blether amongst each other.
I feel for ya man :roll:

On the back of these discussions, our club now has a paper trail of training to back up the Safe Shooters Card/ Might not be bomb proof but certainly helps.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#80 Post by mr smith »

Mike357 wrote:
I feel for ya man :roll:
Nowt for me to worry about but did feel sorry for the member involved........ :cool2: