Snipers at the Superbowl - What about the Olympics

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Snipers at the Superbowl - What about the Olympics

#1 Post by Blackstuff »

So this is how the NY Giants won!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ifles.html

Photos have surfaced of an Indianapolis Metropolitan Police officer aiming a high-powered rifle before the Super Bowl from high atop a sniper's perch in the stadium.

The images show that sharpshooters were prepared to use deadly force at the the big game Sunday, where 70,000 fans filled Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana.

The pictures were posted on Facebook by U.S. Tactical Supply, an Oregon company that supplied the weapon's tripod. However, the firm later removed them, saying they sparked too much controversy from commenters who were outraged by the show of heavy weaponry.

I wonder how many of these will be in the Olympic's this year?? :0037:
DVC
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Re: Snipers at the Superbowl - What about the Olympics

#2 Post by Mike357 »

High powered rifle - how do they define that?

Snipers perch - looks like a stairwell to me?

Deadly force - wouldn't every cop in and outside the stadium use their pistol to apply deadly force if needed?
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Porcupine

#3 Post by Porcupine »

Mike357 wrote:High powered rifle - how do they define that?
Short answer: They don't, it's just a scary term they attach to any rifle they want to make scary. Long answer: The rifle pictured is a Remington 700 action in an XLR chassis system, using .308 AICS magazines. Personally I'd call .308 'full power' as you have intermediate rounds like 5.56 beneath (as well as low powered pistol and PDW rounds) but also rounds that are a lot more powerful above like .50 BMG. It's not that unfair a label though... After all it is more powerful than the vast majority of rifles used by law enforcement and military.
Mike357 wrote:Snipers perch - looks like a stairwell to me?
Surely a sniper's perch is any elevated position that a sniper happens to be sitting on, doesn't have to be purpose built?
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by Sandgroper »

Deadly accurate: Police snipers are trained to quickly and accurately shoot people who are believed to be threats
WTF! Sorry, we believed your husband was a threat so we shot him. Have a nice day! :G

Also, if the Police were watching the game (as per the headline) and not the crowd, then in my book they weren't doing their job properly.

I'm glad I only get the choices bits of Daily Mail stupidity on FB and I don't actually have to buy it! (oh the the shame :oops: ) ****
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#5 Post by Mike357 »

My post was highlighting the use of dramatic, headline grabbing words rather than burying what the phrases were. :P
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Michael Sproul

#6 Post by Michael Sproul »

Sandgroper wrote:
I'm glad I only get the choices bits of Daily Mail stupidity on FB and I don't actually have to buy it! (oh the the shame :oops: ) ****
:lol: What's the choice bits, cancer causes and cures discovered in real time?
Chuck

#7 Post by Chuck »

Any rifle with a scope is a high power sniper rifle in the UK..according to journalists that is.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

....or an AK47
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dave 101

#9 Post by Dave 101 »

There will be a stagering 13,500 troops available for the olympics , thats more than are currently deployed in Afgan . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftt8HWl-_u4

Dave