Possible sticky - what do I need for reloading?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Pesty
Home club or Range: The Balby Rifle and Revolver Club

Re: Possible sticky - what do I need for reloading?

#71 Post by Pesty »

Before I even think about which press, I have an issue.

I have no room :( I do have a desk and a small 'office' box, room but it's a nice desk and I don't want to drill holes in it.

Only thing I've seen so far is a lee stand which I don't really have anywhere to put even before the lump of concrete, desk fills the wall on one side cabinate, radiator and door on the other.

Is there anyway of running a single stage press without drilling holes ?

Cheers
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#72 Post by safetyfirst »

How about a hand press? What quantity are you thinking of producing?
Meaty
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms.Thetford Gallery, STANTA, Barton Road

#73 Post by Meaty »

Pesty wrote:Before I even think about which press, I have an issue.

I have no room :( I do have a desk and a small 'office' box, room but it's a nice desk and I don't want to drill holes in it.

Only thing I've seen so far is a lee stand which I don't really have anywhere to put even before the lump of concrete, desk fills the wall on one side cabinate, radiator and door on the other.

Is there anyway of running a single stage press without drilling holes ?

Cheers
Pesty, I have a bit of a space issue as well and overcame it by mounting my presses on a slab of aluminium tooling plate (5/8" I think) which gets G clamped onto the top of a substantial oak dining table. If its flat, burr free and you put a cloth underneath it when mounting you wont run the risk of upsetting 'the one who shall be obeyed'! You might need a piece of 2x2 between the underside of the desk (where the presses are mounted) and the floor thou to stop the desk top flexing.
"There are four boxes to be used in the defence of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order."
Pesty

#74 Post by Pesty »

Hmmmm yeah that could work.

right off to google aluminium block
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#75 Post by bnz41 »

How about a black & decker work mate, if your limited for space, folds flat when not being used.

Thats what I started with bought second hand, screwed a sheet of 3/4 inch ply to the top to stop press flexing.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#76 Post by phaedra1106 »

Pesty wrote:Is there anyway of running a single stage press without drilling holes ?
I use a Lee bench mounting plate system so I can easily change presses. However, you can easily clamp the steel (or wood) "base block" that the press mounts on to a bench using just a couple of G clamps http://www.titanreloading.com/press-acc ... base-block

I use those on both my Lee and RCBS presses.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Pesty

#77 Post by Pesty »

Yes I see. I suppose I could get a wide piece of ply and use several clamps. Reces the nuts so it sits flat on the desk.

Looks like a solution to me. Thanks.
Morph
Home club or Range: WRPC

#78 Post by Morph »

Similar to some of the above, I have my press bolted to a decking offcut which I "G" clamp to a Folding B&D Workmate.
I counterbalance with my shooting bags (Aquarium gravel filled) draped over the leg bar at the other end.

The above is my "winter press" & used anywhere in the home that is warm, as my main reloading setup is in the celllar & it's bl00dy freezing down there right now 5mith
I am quite certain that the argument you've already won in your head was entirely more satisfying to you than the one that is actually occurring.

Member of WR&PC,BASC & UBC
qws
Home club or Range: BWSS Member, North Cotes Butts

#79 Post by qws »

I have attached a picture of my new re-loading setup. I asked on the forum and was given an old Lee 1000 press, just paid postage (I collected it your our couriers) I then purchased a new Lee 1000 Pro press. I have added a Lee hand primer due to the know auto priming issues on the press. I then moved the de-capping die to the older press. So I now de-cap using the older press, hand prime, then move on to the new press for powder and setting the bullet head - so having and easy and safe set up for loading my .357 / .38 cartridges for my Marlin. For me it has worked really well.

I have fixed both presses to a short piece of wood, drilled and bolted both presses in place. I now use two G clamps to hold every rock solid, but without damaging my office desk at home. It will also allow me to move the press easily.
Attachments
IMG_0234.JPG
Remington .44 1858 (Nitro) 5.5" x2
Cattlemen .44 1873 (Nitro) 5.5" x2
Ruger .45 OA 5.5" x2
Marlin 1894CSS JM Marked
Uberti Winchester 1873 20"
Huglu 12g Coach Gun
1897 Winchester 12g
1887 Winchester 12g
1911 LBP
Sig Sauer 522 SWAT
Pesty

#80 Post by Pesty »

Ideal. I'll try for something like that

Just realised I gave away some marble kitchen top off cuts that would have been perfect.