Possible sticky - what do I need for reloading?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

Re: Possible sticky - what do I need for reloading?

#51 Post by meles meles »

So, oomans, it seems that RCBS kit is generally the preferred option if funds permit ? We're seriously thinking of taking up paw loading and so will be on the lookout later this year for the essentials. Our preference would be to buy good kit once, don't mind purchasing second paw either. We'll perhaps be loading for :

6.5x55 Swedish
7x64 Brenneke
7.5x54 French
7.5x55 Swiss
7.62x39 Soviet
7.62x51 NATO
7.62x54R
9x19 Parabellum
.45 ACP

Are dies interchangeable between different makes of press or do we need the same brand of dies as press?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Stuck
Home club or Range: Diggle

#52 Post by Stuck »

Dies are interchangeable between differing brands of press but some use unique bushing systems.

As an example I use both Forster & Hornaday dies in my Forster press & a few other makes in my RCBS press.

Avoid buying "complete" kits from one manufacturer if you can, mix & match what works.
Infidel
Stuck
Home club or Range: Diggle

#53 Post by Stuck »

It's not rocket science but having a tutorial from someone that genuinely knows what they are doing & is willing to advise at all times is a serious confidence booster.
Infidel
Dougan

#54 Post by Dougan »

There's nothing wrong with 'second paw' - I got an old (25/30 years?) RCBS press, it came with an equally old and basic set of RCBS .303 dies...I was going to change the dies, but didn't bother as they make good ammo.

I'd recommend a basic Lee turret press with an 'auto-disk' (powder dropper) for you pistol calibers - You can happily churn out 100s at a time quite quickly, and with the initial outlay (couple of hundred quid) being quite low, actually make a significant saving by reloading...
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#55 Post by dromia »

Firstly read that Lyman manual handloading sections two or three times. Think about and try and visualise the process.

What you don't understand, can't visualise or have any lack of clarity about write down.

Find an experienced handloader with a good single stage set up and get them to show you how to go on. Three or four such hands on demonstrations is worth their weight in gold as you can see and feel the process and also start to learn the questions to ask along with getting equipment experience to help you make choices when setting up.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#56 Post by dromia »

Also pick just one cartridge from your list and learn to reload that one first, swapping over calibres during the learning process will only confuse you further. Once you have the first one off the rest will be easy.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

meles meles

#57 Post by meles meles »

Well, oomans, we've read Lyman 49 a few times and think we grasp the basics. We're going to write a sign to paste over our workbench (Keep it simple, keep it safe) and start our re-loading on 6.5x55 Swe - we normally shoot milsurp but we have just bought 100 PPU rounds so we can save the cases ready for reloading. Our first questions:

1. Where is a good place to buy re-loading equipment ? (We don't mind second paw)
2. What is the best press to buy ? By best, we mean a rugged, reliable, simple press that will last
3. What make of dies should we buy ?
Badger
Badger Korporashun

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#58 Post by Ovenpaa »

1. Your call
2. Lee Cast Classic a very good staring point IMHO, it should last you a lifetime
3. Lee for value and Forster for a bit more finesse
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin

#59 Post by dromia »

Classic cast is indeed a good value for money press if you are going new.

Also keep a look out for second hand as all the manufactures make good presses, RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, Simplex. The Forster Co-ax is an excellent press but more costly but if you ultimately want precision and you think that it will be a serious hobby for you then it is worth considering under the buy once cry once principle. If buying second hand make sure that your choice of press has compound leverage as some of the older presses though stout of frame are more akin pistol calibres or people with arms like Popeye.

What rifle will you be reloading for? If it is a tight chambered hi spec target type rifle then Forster are the way to go otherwise get the Lee Deluxe set with the collet neck sizing die as well as the full length sizing die.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

meles meles

#60 Post by meles meles »

Most of our rifles are military rifles - Carl Gustav, Krag in 6.5x55, hence not the most precise of chambers
Badger
Badger Korporashun