Possible sticky - what do I need for reloading?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
EagerNoSkill

Re: Possible sticky - what do I need for reloading?

#21 Post by EagerNoSkill »

Sharpie pens to load key load data on cases

OR mark them in a neat way and have load data in your Reloading Notebook!
European 2012 FTR Champion (November 2012 I had +- 112 very lucky shots in a row)
“F-Open shooters are compensating for something”
I make an awesome friend and even worse enemy.
Maggot

#22 Post by Maggot »

EagerNoSkill wrote:Sharpie pens to load key load data on cases

OR mark them in a neat way and have load data in your Reloading Notebook!
And an effing good sense of humour...this comes in to play when you realise you have just painstakingly loaded a 50 batch to the wrong charge weight ****

Then you need a puller.

Can I suggest that if you buy a forster press mounted puller, you leave it in the box and send it straight to the shooting shed for Ovenpaa to finish properly so it works.

Mine used to destroy bullets and cases and eventually fell to bits and was left, in disgrace, to rust in the shelf.

Dave smoothed and polished the collet and made a tommy bar for it.

It is now significantly quicker than a hammer, and no damage whatsoever to case or bullet...a prized possession :goodjob:
godfather

#23 Post by godfather »

I use a folding saw trestle stool that I mount my press on.
Dougan

#24 Post by Dougan »

The Cupcake Kid wrote:You really shouldn't be using a centre punch and claw hammer to prime cases, though...
When I first started loading (not that long ago) I wanted to find out what would happen if one went off while seating - so I stuck a .357 case (so small primer) in the vice, put on safety glasses and building gloves, and gave the primer a tap with a hammer and punch - I learned 3 things...to always wear the glasses when priming, that I should have worn ear defenders as well, and not to try it with a large primer...
bigfathairybiker

#25 Post by bigfathairybiker »

Do you always need case lube? As im sure ive heard that some dies dont need it.

Mark
happycallis
Home club or Range: Bisley

#26 Post by happycallis »

Hiya, Just purchased a copy of Lymans 49th reloading handbook, are there any others that are worh spending the money on?
phaedra1106

#27 Post by phaedra1106 »

bigfathairybiker wrote:Do you always need case lube? As im sure ive heard that some dies dont need it.

Mark
Straight wall pistol cases can be resized without lube using carbide dies, bottleneck (rifle) type cases need lubing.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
phaedra1106

#28 Post by phaedra1106 »

happycallis wrote:Hiya, Just purchased a copy of Lymans 49th reloading handbook, are there any others that are worth spending the money on?
The ABCs of Reloading is one of the very best and I found the Modern Reloading 2nd edition Lee book was also worth a read.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
happycallis
Home club or Range: Bisley

#29 Post by happycallis »

phaedra1106 wrote:
happycallis wrote:Hiya, Just purchased a copy of Lymans 49th reloading handbook, are there any others that are worth spending the money on?
The ABCs of Reloading is one of the very best and I found the Modern Reloading 2nd edition Lee book was also worth a read.
Cheers for the reply, ill have a look at getting a copy of that one as well.
SevenSixTwo

#30 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Is the LEE 50TH ANNIVERSARY KIT worth a punt for starters?

I'm confused as to which die sets I'll need though. I'll be using both 5.56/.223 and 7.62/.308 ammo so will there be an issue with the neck sizes/sizing?
"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".