How many slots............

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
John25

Re: How many slots............

#21 Post by John25 »

Sell?

Sell!

S **** ell!!!!!!

Buy another safe - silly.

Seeemples

:lol:
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
Steve

#22 Post by Steve »

I have 6 (Enfield,Nagant,Mauser,Winchester,Uberti pistol and CZ) plus a couple of shotguns.

I would like to add another 2 which would be a Rubin and a (shock horror!) black gun...an AR in 22.Cambs Police set a limit at 9 overall (S1 & S2) guns before additional security is installed.
Last edited by Steve on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do or not do-there is no try.
Master Yoda
Dr. Strangelove

#23 Post by Dr. Strangelove »

I have five slots with two filled. I'd like another in 7.5 and maybe 6.5.

I can send copies of the Firearms Licensing Guide if people are struggling to find it, PM me with your email address.

I think any more than eleven and West Sussex would want additional security. I have a few friends who found it easier to become RFDs to explain the large collections!
John25

#24 Post by John25 »

Here it is

:cheers:
Attachments
HO-Firearms-Guidance2835.pdf
(874.14 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
Ovenpaa

#25 Post by Ovenpaa »

Urk, I was hoping for 15 pages, not 150+

Ah well, light reading at some point... :shock:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G

#26 Post by Sim G »

The 2002 guidance is a good read.........

However, the 2005 Firearms Security handbook is what you need to counter spurious demands from your FEO to put in Fort Knox style security! Trust me, print the 2002 Guidance, the 2005 Handbook and an amplified Firearms Act and put them on the table next to the biccys when the FEO comes round. The discussion following his "demands" was indeed enlightening........ for him!

Sandgroper attached it ages ago in the Library...

http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=344
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Scotsgun

#27 Post by Scotsgun »

12 at present. The local plod licensing office are resisting me increase it any further. How 1 is more safe than 100 is beyond me.
dave_303

#28 Post by dave_303 »

8 filled and 2 empty
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#29 Post by dromia »

70 filled and 14 empty with sundry filled and unfilled slots for barrels, actions, bolts and bolt faces.

As has been said there is no actual restriction on the number of firearms you can hold provided you can show good reason and have security commensurate with the risk. Before I had my gun room made and a was increasing the slots on my ticket, from 20 odd to 30 odd if I recall correctly they stipulated that I should have a monitored alarm fitted. I politely challenged this using the guidance as a reference pointing out I was in a low crime area, good overall household security including alarm, non monitored and the fact that my gun cabinets were spread over three levels in my house with bolts and rifles separated. They rescinded the monitored alarm requirement and granted my variation. They did point out to me that security of my firearms was my responsibility, implying that if something went wrong in the future then they had recommended the higher level of security.

When I wanted to increase my number of firearms further I had my gun room installed with a monitored alarm this was not just to get the slots but having guns in cabinets was not satisfactory as there is always the risk of damage pulling them in and out, also I wanted to be able to have my guns on hand for load development and also if working on them not have to put them away if I had to leave the job halfway through. I involved the police from the start in the design and specification of the gun room using the Security handbook as our reference and ensuring myself and the police had the same interpretation of its contents. When the variation went in it still took them a good few months to turn it around and I had to keep pushing them. I suspect that they were in a bit of dilemma, on one hand they couldn't find reason to refuse, if they had they would have done so there and then, but on the other hand they didn't want to say yes either. I have heard unofficially since then that the main reason of concern was that with the number of firearms on my FAC they would have hard job tracking and administering the variations it could generate, as I say I don't know this as fact it just came to me second hand.

Sim G's advice on using the guidance in putting your case forward is the key as that is what they are governed by and to be honest in the context of the overall firearms legislation, and we all know what we think about that, they are not bad documents.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Sim G

#30 Post by Sim G »

There are a couple of blokes I know that have now converted a spare room into a gun room. Both said the police were very accommodating!!!

I'd love to have a gun room. Oh for the challenge of filling that!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!