closed season for Hares in Scotland

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
shotgun sam

closed season for Hares in Scotland

#1 Post by shotgun sam »

There is now a closed season for Hares in Scotland

Sam

http://www.snh.gov.uk/protecting-scotla ... licensing/
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Ovenpaa

Re: closed season for Hares in Scotland

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Odd the Mountain hare - 1st March to 31st July and the Brown hare - 1st February to 30th September. Are the Brownies less common?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#3 Post by M99 »

ovenpaa wrote:Odd the Mountain hare - 1st March to 31st July and the Brown hare - 1st February to 30th September. Are the Brownies less common?
No, they just have a different breeding cycle, starting earlier than the Blue's and running through for longer (often a second brood)

Mike
Scotsgun

#4 Post by Scotsgun »

Its a move in the right direction. An areas' hare population can be decimated if shot in Feb/March.

I was once lucky enough to see about a dozen dancing in a field- like a great big cartwheel.
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Although I have lived in the countryside on and off for most of my life I still cannot get my head around the numbers of Hares shot. I was chatting to a builder a while ago who had been Hare shooting the previous weekend. When I asked him how he got on he told me they had shot 80 Hares over two days so a good result.

I have not seen 80 Hares in my life, maybe it is because I live in Bedfordshire. I can still recall the last few occasions I have seen Hares, and I always stop and enjoy the moment so I find the thought of shooting 80 of them over a couple of days distasteful. However at the other side of the argument I am sure there is a valid reason for the culling of Hares in such numbers. I just hope it is not just for the sport...

I remember a few years ago the after dinner speaker was an internationally renown wildlife photographer (I forget his name!) His talk and accompanying photographs were very good and one picture made us all laugh, it was the white tail and back end of a Mountain Hare up on the Kinder Plateau. He had spent many years trying to get a picture of one and this was the best he could do, he was so proud of it the picture was in his latest book. Then recently I read about a couple of shooters in the same general area who were shooting Mountain Hares at 600+ yards (From memory) at the request of the land owner due to the damage the Hares were doing on the Moors. They were knocking down a reasonable number on every visit.

Two extremes of life...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Scotsgun

#6 Post by Scotsgun »

I can't see a justification for shooting such numbers of hares and wouldn't be tolerated around here.

Hares can be guilty of stripping the bark from trees and are therefore culled in managed forests. However i have refused leases when instructed to hammer any and all hares i come across.

Hares create negligable damage in comparison to rabbits. They don't burrow, they don't form large groups and are definately in decline in large areas.
Polchraine

#7 Post by Polchraine »

One of the places I fish has a hare population nad they are not too worried by humans being around. In general they are left alone except on for one or twice a year when the Ghillie of farmer takes one for a special occasion.

One day I was treated to a wonderful demonstration of how to catch a hare ... an older relative of the farmer, literally crept up behind the hare, then, in one smooth action, threw his Barbour over the hare whilst propelling himself forward to land on top. A brief struggle, he got up and put the coat on. No hare to be seen! Not only had he broken the neck, but secreted it in the inside game pocket! It was incredible to watch.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

A couple of years ago, hot summers afternoon we were out with the dogs walking up a step track by some woods. We stopped to let the dogs catch up :oops: and as I looked down the hill a Hare popped out of the hedge a few feet below us and promptly lay down also looking down the track as if he was also enjoying the view. I have not seen one since.
/d

Shed Journal
whoowhoop

#9 Post by whoowhoop »

Where I used to be, before I moved here, we held annual hare shoots, normally over 2 days.
300 was the average tally. Add to this that we shot every hare that could be seen from the roadside whenever possible due to the pikies coursing, that was a lot of hares. 20 odd years later and they still shoot the same number. They were big hares there, known as K...s W....n Donkeys.
They are very visible now, until the crops get up a bit.
They are a pain if you grow root vegetables or if you run a lot of sheep. They used to reckon 3 hares ate as much as a ewe, but I wouldn't know that.
I've coursed them, hunted them with beagles and bassets, shot them, snared them, my son had one for a pet. I even had a rottweiler bitch who caught one, a big leveret on stubble - no law and over 40 seconds on the run before she picked it ( she could catch the odd fox too.)
I still get a lot of fun watching them at this time of year.
Surprising how often they come in to the squeak, as well.
Ovenpaa, we get them across the road in the Millenium Park - they've always been there.
Happy is he, who goes out for the amusement of himself, and not for the amazement of others
Polchraine

#10 Post by Polchraine »

Just spent two days trying to fish in horrendous wind up here in Scotland and I have never seen as many hares out as I have this week.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.