nxs or br

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
223ackley

nxs or br

#1 Post by 223ackley »

What would you recomend a nightforce nxs or a br model gona be used for varminting and some target work at distance 400 yds and over
spud
Home club or Range: Grovesmall Arms

Re: nxs or br

#2 Post by spud »

nsx simply due to ease of dialing but get the np2dd reticle they are lovverly
ImageImage
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

For me it would be the BR.

Cheaper, slightly lighter and offers all of the functionality of the NXS but without the tactical turrets and side parallax drum. As far as dialling in it has conventional target turrets under nice covers.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
spud
Home club or Range: Grovesmall Arms

#4 Post by spud »

also the br does have 1/8 moa adjustment
ImageImage
Mr_Logic

#5 Post by Mr_Logic »

NXS can also have 1/8 MOA adjustment - mine does. I got the NXS recently over the BR because of the adjustment range, but on 400 yards you should have no problem. I also couldn't get the NP2-DD in any scope except the NXS...
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have the NP1RR reticle mostly because that is what the 'scope came with (42X BR) and it was very cheap :good:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

Re: NXS or BR

#7 Post by Dangermouse »

For me it would be the NXS for the easy access to the PA or as is sometimes refereed to the focus on the side.
In F Class shooting it is often used to dial in shorter than your target to see what the mirage is doing, I will do this often, and should be doing it between every shot to see what has changed. With the BR Model it is still possible but you have to change position to do so - unless you have the arms of an orangutan.

But having said that, why are you limiting yourself to a Nightforce?
They are certainly a quality make with great internals, but they are heavy and in recent years have almost doubled in price.

I would say have a look at the Sightron range, at under £1000 you get a lot for your scope.

At last weeks Newark show I handled a Vortex for the first time and I have to say that I was almighty impressed. Not only was the optics superb but the scope had a number of nifty well thought out features which made me appreciate the thought that had gone into making it. I certainly would consider one for sub 1000 yard work. I say that as he model that I was looking at only went up to 24x magnification which is not quite enough for F Class.
This model is £899 in the UK http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... oa-reticle

Don't limit your choice unless you have a relative working for Nightforce who can get you a good deal,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Mr_Logic

#8 Post by Mr_Logic »

I agree that there are other good scope manufacturers, but for me, personal preference, nobody's quite like Nightforce. but it's a personal thing...
223ackley

#9 Post by 223ackley »

Thanx for the replies lads seen a couple of good deals at sportsmans guncentre a nxs 12-42x65 npr2 for £1,374 & a nightforce 8-32x56 np-r2 for £1,200 gona trade my n550 in so shouldnt have to much to pay out i have a benchrest on my ackley and the only thing i dont like is the paralax on the front,will also give the sightron a look at gona use nightforce rings any thoughts on those
Dangermouse

#10 Post by Dangermouse »

You initially mentioned varminting, will that be on foot or from a vehicle?

I only ask as even the lightest rig can become a real pain after a short time in the field and anything that you can do to keep the weight down will help. The Nightforce rings are not the lightest and certainly not the cheapest, but built for battle, they will last years and do the job well.
I have a set of Burris Signature Zee rings which I got for around £70 locally, I could have found a better deal if I had shopped around. As they use inserts to protect the scope there is no need for lapping the rings or any heath Robinson devices to protect your tube. I highly recommend them and would suggest you read up on them before splashing out a lot more on the Nightforce Jobie's,

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-zee- ... bases.html

Good Luck,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.