Camouflage and the shooting sports

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Steve

Re: Camouflage and the shooting sports

#31 Post by Steve »

They do this airsoft on a nearby disused military base (until its redeveloped) and couple years back i went up there to take photographs of the old buildings (im a bit of a history nerd) so stood around watching their antics for a little while.I cant see the harm in what they do no matter how they're dressed.They're no threat to anyone,keep themselves to themselves and ultimately enjoy what they do.

Paintball is similiar where you also dress in full on camo and i've done this a few times on varous stag do's.Its kinda fun also,but hurts like **** when you get shot on the end of your old chap.Like Chuck said earlier-the clothing is unimportant.You could have someone dressed up like a Power Ranger holding a pump action shotgun and the media would still crucify them.

I keep saying this,but shooters have to stick together no matter what their disciplin.When you get one group of shooters critising another all it does is create division when everyone should be standing together.Its envitable that at some point and maybe not in my lifetime or yours perhaps,but the general public WILL eventually be banned from owning firearms.When you post threads like this on an open forum where anti-gun groups have access to and search engines pick them up it simply fuels their fight and gives them much needed points to pick up on when they question mp's for example.
Do or not do-there is no try.
Master Yoda
Chapuis

#32 Post by Chapuis »

I’m pretty much of the “live and let live” persuasion, as long as it legal and doesn’t cause harm or offence to anyone. Though I have to say that a lot of people seem to be very easily offended these days. In fact I would go as far as to say that some are even professional “offendees” (if I can describe them that way) and are deeply offended by the slightest of things. Funnily enough a lot of these people tend to push the boundaries of normality somewhat themselves.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#33 Post by Mike357 »

I little bit of camo is fine I think. I have a pair of 3 colour desert BDUs which I wear day to day around the house and sometimes when I go shooting both on our range and on MOD ranges. I will admit to wanting to get a pair of Multicam TRU pants purely because I like the look of Multicam and I need another pair of combats. I wear a beige pair of TRUs on most range days though. I have no camo jackets and dont intend getting any. Have some OD gear as well.

Head to toe camo aint good but I see no herm with a camo jacket or pants.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#34 Post by M99 »

I used to wear a lot of cammo growing up as a lad shooting, ferreting and fishing - was hard wearing and comfortable/practical. I then joined HM forces and wore it day to day - it also followed me in to the field, shooting etc as it was now FREE!!

I still have some windproof smocks, issue goretex etc - but it is now only generally used around the kennels or doing "messy" jobs - I will wear a camo jacket stalking and have a max 4 camo for the 'shore when 'fowling - but mainly because it will keep me warm and dry regardless of the conditions.

Each to their own, as long as it serves your purpose, who cares what it looks like?

Mike
dave_303

#35 Post by dave_303 »

It's all to do with what comfortable and practical
When I first started shooting I did .22 prone, couldn't afford a jacket so I did what my CCF mates did and bought a DPM smock and sewed a button on to hold a sling in place on my shoulder. I used the jacket for years as it didn't matter if it got wet or muddy. As I've gotten older and have shoot fullbore I wear less and less camo with the exception of DMP trousers for wet weather etc.. as I have a big hatred for wet jeans, and as being a typical bloke and not owning many clothes I try to keep clothes clean and try so used camos for muddy stuff. The other pieces I wear is my German flectarn gor-tex smock, well because its gor-tex
whoowhoop

#36 Post by whoowhoop »

Ovenpaa, I remember being stuck on Brogborough Hill for a couple of hours in the snow about 3 years ago.
A middle aged biker had overtaken the crawling traffic, skidded and parked his head under the wheels of an artic. I have to say that when the roads are bad, I have a horror of bikes - motorised or not. Not enough regular bad weather to acclimatise most riders to the conditions. Bad enough in a car.

As to camouflage clothing. Whatever floats your boat, I suppose. Not for me personally - especially when lamping!
It also seems to upset the anti public. Camo and sniper rifle............
Mind you, I do have a realtree thong.
For special occasions.
Happy is he, who goes out for the amusement of himself, and not for the amazement of others
Ovenpaa

#37 Post by Ovenpaa »

A very experienced Police motorcyclist (He was the examiner for the Instructors that taught the Police motorcyclists) once said if you can see your tyre tracks in the snow treat it as rain.

Wise words however he never did say what I should do if I no longer saw tyre tracks. My brother went up to the Arctic circle last February on a motorbike, he said studded tyres worked for the snow but the cold was the biggest problem.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Scotsgun

#38 Post by Scotsgun »

Been caught in the snow, whilst on the motorbike a few times. I can't say its ever felt like riding in the rain but it certainly isn't pleasant.

Worst experience had to have been about 8yrs ago - working in a college in London and the snow got really bad around mid day . I left early but still had to get north and travel up the M11 in order to get home. The snow was so thick that it was continually plastering the visor, the white lines had long gone and the bike just kept surfing on a surface of thick powdery snow. I was crawling along on the inside lane (i hoped - you couldn't tell) yet twats kept racing up on the outside, slamming on breaks and cutting in front.

I got home, drove into the garage, rolled off the bike and lay on my back for ages just enjoying relaxing the feeling stable. I later discovered that they closed the motorway 30mins after i left it and folks were stranded there overnight.
Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

#39 Post by Gaz »

I don't mind goretex DPM gear, 'cos it's practical, but I do think it a bit odd when target shooters rock up to the range wearing DPM jacket, trousers and issue-style Pro-Boots. Trousers I can understand, jacket maybe less so ... both together? Bit Walter Mitty in my humble opinion.

And then there's the two weirdos who wandered around the Trafalgar Meeting wearing SS field caps, complete with the death's head capbadges. That just makes me angry.
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.
Ovenpaa

#40 Post by Ovenpaa »

We went to a re-enactment thing many years ago and I was surprised and more than a bit disappointed to see more Storm troopers and GI's than British Army being represented.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal