last Sunday

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

last Sunday

#1 Post by kennyc »

finally got to Bisley for a full day with some of my toys.
first off, Short Siberia 100 yrds, here I managed to zero the AUG with its new Fox scope 10-40x50 (almost overhangs both ends! ) in 4 shots, (this time I worked out that removing the bolt carrier and trigger group meant I could bore sight it, last time took a lot more rounds, and a oath to never again darken the door to the zero range!)
the AUG is very accurate even though it has a trigger best described as "positive" ;) and I was able to get some sub MOA groups going even with Wolf budget ammo.
then the Winnie 190, last time out this little beast was topped out on the scope elevation and still 20" low! this time I had shimmed the rear mount and the first shot was 20-30" high! happy days, a couple more shots and a lot of turret spinning later and I was on target :0037: its really weird after .308 to be able to maintain your sight picture and (after a considerable delay) see the strike! this little rifle has a trigger that almost makes the AUGs seem light, but it really is great fun to shoot at 100yrds, not as tight a group as the AUG but not too shabby, I had to put it away in the end due to the constant whinging from the bench next door (something about brass in the head area? ) :55: would love to have seen what they made of AUG if I hadn't tilted it during extraction (that summabitch really tosses the brass into space!)
afternoon saw us heading to 300 falling back to 600 on Century.
the K31 was brought out for a few shots at 300 and 600 and with irons only managed several v-bulls and all shots in the black! this really is a sweet rifle to shoot! I even was able to use the rear ramp range markings appropriate for the distances involved (even though its marked in metres not yards) if you haven't tried one of these beauties you really must! I keep a scope for 1000 yrds and to be honest I have gone off it for 100 yrds because it burns ammo too easily :shakeshout:
the AUG shot pretty much spot on with only minor adjustments at 300, at 600 however it was very obvious the the point of impact moved higher as the rifle warmed up ? never by much and not enough to spoil my day, but it would not be ideal in a comp (just as well I'm not entering it for one then :good: ) the big surprise was when I changed ammo from Wolf to GGG WOW! almost 6 MOA of elevation had to come off to get back on the bull :o the difference in the ammo at that range was stunning! so thats settled then 1-300 Wolf @ £24x100 and for the longer stuff or when its windy GGG @ £38x100 ! the Fox scope was fantastic value for money, only becoming a bit milky at 40x and between 10 and 20x was almost as good as some of the much more expensive scopes there on the day! time will tell as to how it lasts , but @£124 delivered with a 1 year gty whats not to like?
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Re: last Sunday

#2 Post by TattooedGun »

Nice writeup! Sounds like a fun filled day!

I need to get out to Bisley at some point and have a try across the multiple ranges!
Dr. Strangelove

#3 Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Where do you get your GGG and 7.5 ammo from, Kenny?
kennyc

#4 Post by kennyc »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Where do you get your GGG and 7.5 ammo from, Kenny?
the GGG was from the range office at Bisley, the 7.5 I reload, but when I buy fresh rounds I go to Andy Allwood in Bracknell
Dr. Strangelove

#5 Post by Dr. Strangelove »

That's a good price for the GGG! And thanks for the heads up about the 7.5 from Andy. Hopefully I'll be getting a K31 next month!
kennyc

#6 Post by kennyc »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:That's a good price for the GGG! And thanks for the heads up about the 7.5 from Andy. Hopefully I'll be getting a K31 next month!
they really are a joy to shoot (unless you did what I did and apply modern prone positions to an old style military rifle.....12 rounds = yellow bruise on collar bone ! theres a reason why the oldtimers laid at an angle to the rifle!) Andy still has a few K31's in stock at around £240 and is going to pick up another batch from Switzerland soon.
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Sounds like a fun day out, I really do need to try one of these Swiss things one day.

Where are the pictures??
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
AL8

#8 Post by AL8 »

Kenny what reloads do you find work for you in your K31?
kennyc

#9 Post by kennyc »

AL8 wrote:Kenny what reloads do you find work for you in your K31?
Privi brass Privi 174 grn gp11 profile fmj's and 42grns N140 works for me, obviously YMMV for 1000 yrd I am inclined to use fresh PPU factory ammo so that I don't have to go chasing the limits of loads and I'm close to the limit according to the sources I have researched.
kennyc

#10 Post by kennyc »

ovenpaa wrote:Sounds like a fun day out, I really do need to try one of these Swiss things one day.

Where are the pictures??
here you go :grin:
DSCF4455 [800x600].JPG
DSCF4457 [800x600].JPG
DSCF4458 [800x600].JPG