What a difference an Shed OAL gauge has made

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

M99

What a difference an Shed OAL gauge has made

#1 Post by M99 »

Been playing with a Shed OAL gauge and now that I have the true COL for my loads, it has definitely made a difference to my consistency.

These were Remi brass, Federal primers, bottom group 21g of H322 with a Speer 55g Blitzking bullet. COL 2.305. Top group the same apart from 21.5g of H322.

Groups shot off a Bipod at 200m, 9mph l to r wind @ 9 degrees today, each group was 5 rounds.

Pleased with those!

Mike
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: What a difference an Shed OAL gauge has made

#2 Post by Sandgroper »

I would be too! :clap: :clap: :clap:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

That is impressive, how much did you change your OAL by and what is your jump now?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
M99

#4 Post by M99 »

Since I am very green to this reloading lark I had been loading them to 2.280" on advice from my "mentor" (Book minimum length for these loads is 2.260")

The jump is .010" which seems to be working for me - I've loaded some V-max 50g up this evening and I am going to try them on paper this week to see how they do - I've worked up 4 loads to try out.

I am enjoying this reloading lark almost as much as shooting the rounds!

Any tips/advice always greatly received.

Mike
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Well one tip is accuracy does not necessarily improve as MV increases and it is worth optimising your load based on the distances you are going to shoot.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
M99

#6 Post by M99 »

ovenpaa wrote:Well one tip is accuracy does not necessarily improve as MV increases and it is worth optimising your load based on the distances you are going to shoot.
Thanks - I've noted that already with my loads - like the one above - it was the lowest powder charge that was given the tightest groups at 200 (Also at 100 & 300) but the rain killed the targets. It was shooting ragged one hole groups at 100.

Mike
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am guessing you are around 2900fps with that load so a good 10% down on maximum which is no bad thing and you still have a comfortable 600 yard rifle.
/d

Shed Journal
zeroveez

#8 Post by zeroveez »

"worth optimising your load"
Based on the groups displayed, what the hell is there to optimise? Leave well alone; I would be very pleased with those.
Christel
Site Admin

#9 Post by Christel »

Zeroveez, some of us are always on the look out for better and more and better and even more :P
Dangermouse

#10 Post by Dangermouse »

Chasing the dragon

DM