10/22 Magazine Spring tension?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

10/22 Magazine Spring tension?

#1 Post by Mike357 »

When re-assembling 10/22 mags, what is the correct spring tension to apply, ie number of turns? I seem to remember that for increased reliability it is backed off a little, but how much?
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
BestDrugDoc
Home club or Range: Felton and District Rifle Club

Re: 10/22 Magazine Spring tension?

#2 Post by BestDrugDoc »

Yes it is easier to load and feeds well with less tension - only problem is I cant remember how much.... - ?1.5 to 2 turns?

To be honest, I cant be botherred to keep taking them apart - I just squirt some action blaster spray in, shake it around and turn it upside down and some crud comes out. I may then spray some wd40 in......... :run:
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#3 Post by the running man »

There is a really easy way of taking them apart then reassmbling them without much hastle,when u first do it its real tricky! And yes I've had to search for bits that have popped out! Turn wise,I think if memory serves I put 4 on mine........but rest easy son,you tube has some tutitional videos on how to do it! That's how I did it,a freind said about you tube,I found one and followed it! Easy! I prefer to take them aprt and give them a wipe round,as opposed to spraying them, but that's not to say that spraying them aint no good,it mite work great for you............good luck.....
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#4 Post by Mike357 »

:lol: :lol: This is fun! There is a slight consensus at 1.5 - 2 but the YouTube video I saw said 8!!

I have 6 2nd hand mags arriving next week and I'm gonna strip them all and clean them as I have the first comp of the year at Galashiels in 10 days and then the NESSCC and Phoenix. I think 9 mags should be enough but 9 is such a s*** number, I might have to buy another to make 10 :lol:

I'll put all non metal parts in the dishwasher, then reassemble with a little light oil in the spring mechanism.
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Avoid WD40, 3-1 or light gun oil is a better choice.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G

#6 Post by Sim G »

5 turns. I don't use anything to lube the mags as that just attracts all sorts of crud and stuff and bungs them up. Got to say though, I have some 10/22 mags, genuine Ruger ones, that have never been stripped for a clean and they are fine. And these came with my first 10/22 15 years ago......

I too bought some used mags and striped them down before using, but to tell you the truth, I don't think it was worth it as it gave nothing else than my own peace of mind. But, that can count for a lot when i comes to confidence in your kit.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Mike357

#7 Post by Mike357 »

I hear ya Sim, but if they fail on the FP at the Phoenix having driven 500 miles I'll throw a fit!
Sim G

#8 Post by Sim G »

Mike357 wrote:I hear ya Sim, but if they fail on the FP at the Phoenix having driven 500 miles I'll throw a fit!

Throw a fit? Understatement!!!

But look Mike, great excuse to get out there and thoroughly test them before. Still what, 6 weeks till Phoenix?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Mike357

#9 Post by Mike357 »

6 weeks to Phoenix but comps in April (Joint Services Pistol Club - Galashiels) and May with our own NESSCC comps.

I'm sure they'll be fine. :P