My New F-TR Rifle

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

My New F-TR Rifle

#1 Post by 20series »

After deciding I want to have a serious bash at the F-TR class comps next year I decided to have my .308 Remington 700 PSS rebarreled with a 32inch 1/10 twist Trueflite barrel. I rang Chris at UK Gunworks who I know does excellent work and had a chat, he gave me a price and I decided to go for it.

Well here she is

As you can see it's now sporting a Choate Ultimate sniper stock, the original HS Precision would have needed too much material removing to allow the barrel to float and Chris had this kicking about.

I took it to Barnwell on Monday and carefully ran it in as per the instuction from Trueflite and then I chucked a few loads down to see what it would do. I only had some 175 SMKs so I made up a few loads with Varget 44, 45 and 46 grains and it showed that the 46 was around the best (as had been with the old barrel).

Having done a bit of research in the run up to it arriving, 200 and 210 SMK's have had a few mentions so I picked up some 210's yesterday (couldn't find any 200's)

Someone had mentioned late last night that Vit 150/550 is the better powder for heavier rounds but I only had some N140 so struggling to find any load data for the 210 I plumped for starting at 42 and working up in .5 steps to 43.5 just to see what occured.

Well 42.5 grains provided me with this 3 shot group at 100 yards :D

All in all I'm a very happy chappy at the moment, I'm down to Bisley in a few weeks shooting 1000 yards so I'll have to wait and see how it performs at proper manly distances.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Christel
Site Admin

Re: My New F-TR Rifle

#2 Post by Christel »

Is that coming out to play at Barton?
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#3 Post by 20series »

christel wrote:Is that coming out to play at Barton?
It will :D When's the next date??

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

Not on the website yet.

My guess is end of Jan.

That is lovely, looking forward to seeing it.

I am thinking a hotter load might be beneficial though.
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

christel wrote: I am thinking a hotter load might be beneficial though.
Oh yes, help the enemy why don’t you ;)

Nice one! That looks every bit the part and for a start load that is not a bad group either, I think the next meeting is going to be around the 22/29th January, looks like I had better get some bullets in ASAP!

FRS should have some N550 in stock and mention the club and you will get 10% discount.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#6 Post by 20series »

ovenpaa wrote:
christel wrote: I am thinking a hotter load might be beneficial though.
Oh yes, help the enemy why don’t you ;)

Nice one! That looks every bit the part and for a start load that is not a bad group either, I think the next meeting is going to be around the 22/29th January, looks like I had better get some bullets in ASAP!

FRS should have some N550 in stock and mention the club and you will get 10% discount.

Hopefully it'll be the 29th, I'm down at Bisley the 22nd.

I'm not sure wether to buy some Vit550 or not :roll: although who knows maybe I can get the group smaller :D
Sim G

#7 Post by Sim G »

That's change a bit, Alan......... ;)
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#8 Post by 20series »

Sim G wrote:That's change a bit, Alan......... ;)
Sim

Just a bit mate :lol: , I think the only part left from when I bought it from you is the action and bolt,

I've picked up some 550 so I'm going to have a play and see how it goes.

Alan