What defines a slug?

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Polchraine

What defines a slug?

#1 Post by Polchraine »

If a 12G cartridge is loaded with a slug it will be a single projectile of nominally 18.4mm diameter and restrictions apply.

Consider a cartridge with a thick walled shot cup that is long enough to hold two 14.6mm (same weight) or maybe two 15.6 diameter balls of lead. Is there a problem with those? A 15.6mm would be classed as a slug in a 20G but what about in 12G when two are fired together?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Dave 101

Re: What defines a slug?

#2 Post by Dave 101 »

A shotgun cartridge requires a minimum number of projectiles , cant think what it is though , but I know its more than 2 , therefore what would be the advantage of having 2 balls ?

Dave
Porcupine

#3 Post by Porcupine »

Very simple, ammunition is not regulated if it contains no fewer than five projectiles, none of which may exceed 0.36 inch (9mm) in dameter:
(4) This section applies to any ammunition for a firearm, except the following articles, namely:

(a) cartridges containing five or more shot, none of which exceeds 0.36 inch in diameter;
That means that up to LG for English sizes or 000 for American sizes, but 0000, strung buck, buck and ball, sabot rounds (even if they're 9mm) etc are all controlled i.e. require a FAC slot. You could however make a 9mm sabot round that also fired 4 pellets of #9 birdshot.
Last edited by Porcupine on Tue May 01, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John25

#4 Post by John25 »

Dave 101 wrote: therefore what would be the advantage of having 2 balls ?

Dave
Surely I am not the only one who is refraining from comment?

:lol:
Doz

#5 Post by Doz »

John25 wrote:
Dave 101 wrote: therefore what would be the advantage of having 2 balls ?

Dave
Surely I am not the only one who is refraining from comment?
I was waiting for Hitler to answer... smile2
Dave 101

#6 Post by Dave 101 »

:clap: Iam more worried about these slugs !
Theres one thing I always think of if it had been worth doing someone would have already done it .
Dave
Porcupine

#7 Post by Porcupine »

Well, if it were the case that all shotgun ammunition was unregulated unless it was a 'slug,' and slugs were defined as a single projectile, you could just add some birdshot to a slug round and that would a) allow you to get it without a FAC and b) allow you to keep as much as you like, without the ammo restrictions of a FAC. Since the birdshot and the slugs can be easily differentiated on paper, and I doubt five pellets of #9 would knock down a steel target (and no reason you need to use lead shot, you could use something lighter), it would work just like having a slug-only. However that is not the case, but I still can see some value to the idea.

There are a lot more ranges for handgun rounds than there are shotgun slug ranges. By using sabot rounds we could shoot PSG on these ranges, or even shoot gallery rifle and mini rifle disciplines themselves, albeit with shotguns. Add some birdshot to a .36 caliber sabot and the ammunition is unregulated which means people with SGC guns can shoot (albeit only with 3 or 4 rounds in the gun) and you can own as much of it as you want, don't have to lock it up etc.
whoowhoop

#8 Post by whoowhoop »

quote from 1968 Firearms act... An FAC is not required for

(a) cartridges containing five or more shot, none of which exceeds ·36 inch in diameter
Polchraine

#9 Post by Polchraine »

I only asked as it came up in conversation with the husband of a friend in the USA. He had 20+ years in the police as well as time in the US Special Forces and is permitted to carry a handgun anywhere - excluding Courthouses. He was asking if I had come across something of that type - did not say where he had used it, so it just got me thinking.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Porcupine

#10 Post by Porcupine »

This is what he's talking about I imagine, 'double ball' buckshot:

I guess the thinking is simply the same as why we use buckshot over slugs sometimes. Buckshot gives you a big pattern of shots on target meaning you've got a very good chance of hitting something vital without being as precise as you need to be with a slug. Slug on the other hand has more range, a greater hydrostatic shock effect, and greater penetration (which can be good or bad). Double ball buckshot is somewhere inbetween - not quite the range, shock or penetration of slug, but more so than regular buckshot, not quite the spread of regular buckshot, but more spread than a single slug.

Tri-ball is a similar cartridge, albeit with three balls instead of two:

(the three balls in the middle with an equal weight of smaller shot on the right)

Here is a tri-ball pattern at 40 yards: