Drag Bag 52" long

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Dangermouse

Drag Bag 52" long

#1 Post by Dangermouse »

Looking for a drag bag to move my rifle around in, does not have to be in perfect condition but working zips a must.

I know AIM do one at this size but it is twice as expensive as I want to spend.

Not sure about any other makes on the market that go this long,

DM
Ovenpaa

Re: Drag Bag 52" long

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

DM have you looked at http://www.rifle-cases.co.uk/ They may have something but I think you are going to struggle regardless as most stop at 49" and then start again at 55"

Christel uses a bag/mat combo thing that my 7mm will fit in at a push, it will also fit in her AIM 50" also at a push but I am never happy about the zip ends not being captive on the AIM bags, that is the only detail I wish they would improve otherwise I prefer it to the BlackHawk offering.

My AI gets carried around in an old L96A1 RECCE Dragbag that cost me a tenner delivered from eBlag.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#4 Post by Dangermouse »

I had looked at that site before and got frustrated that they have not included dimensions for many of the bag I was looking at.

Even if it was just the overall length you would have an idea.

It does not need to be a drag bag, and I keep thinking about a hard case, but there is no denying that it is much easier to take everything to the point in one bag, ruck sack style, than make two trips.

My current bag was a flea bay offering from an ex Marine in the US - unfortunately it only just took the Remington as was never mind the extra 6",

DM
Christel
Site Admin

#5 Post by Christel »

Frankly to my requirements the AIM drag bags are just too expensive and with too many features I will never use.
However there is no denying they are good bags.

I use a combo mat / bag, works a treat for me, rifle is safe and when the bag is unfolded I have a mat to lie on.
Only thing to consider is that you can't take your mat onto the firing point until you can take the rifle.

I went from a hard case to an AIM to this combo. Look at what your needs are and choose accordingly.

I bought this combo at the Phoenix fair. £50.
When unfolded it has a pocket for the bolt inside. Rifle is secured with 3 straps. Outside there are two pockets. Shoulder straps and carry strap.
Dangermouse

#6 Post by Dangermouse »

Perhaps I should just buy another range mat, fold it in two, sew a zip the whole way around it and call it done! A trip to hobby craft tomorrow may be.

I have always liked the idea of the combined range mat / rifle bag, but know that I will end up laying on something in one of the pockets.

DM
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

The one in the link is 55" long so a usable size. I have used hard cases in the past, they either got given away or bunged on eBlag, I just cannot get on with them as they tie up one hand and then something slips off the other shoulder and you end up putting everything down and starting again. Plus we do not need hard cases when travelling to DK.

I try to keep what I carry to an absolute minimum and if I can do it all with a single bag than I am happy, less used gear sits in the car just in case. My Blackhawk or the AIM will take a rifle, ammunition, mags and bolt, waterproof trousers, range finder, log book and seldom used wind meter, mat, hat and cans and the obligatory strap for working in the Butts, Christel carries her stuff and a flask of tea and that is enough usually.

These days I use an boing with tables from previous range visits and a ballistic App.

It does not sound very minimum but it works for me.
/d

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

Dangermouse wrote:Perhaps I should just buy another range mat, fold it in two, sew a zip the whole way around it and call it done! A trip to hobby craft tomorrow may be.

I have always liked the idea of the combined range mat / rifle bag, but know that I will end up laying on something in one of the pockets.

DM
That is a very good idea, don’t forget some velcro inside to stop the rifle bouncing around. CED used to do a very nice mat at a reasonable price and I have some shiny new Alice pack straps if you want them ;)
/d

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#9 Post by Christel »

I have a pair of shooting glasses in one of the outside pockets and they have been fine so far.

The long big pocket in the middle on the outside I tend to just have clothing in.

The top pocket holds the ammo and the glasses...no probs.

By the time you buy a mat and a zip you have spent the money a combo costs...
The Gun Pimp

#10 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Dangermouse,

The big advantage of the AIM bag for me is the rucksack-style straps.

When you shoot F/TR, your rifle, scorebook, ammo, waterproofs etc will go in your bag but what about your bi-pod, back-bag and mat? Even with an AIM bag, you still need three hands!

I had one of the first ones - about four years ago - and I've used and abused it just about every weekend since and not a zip, or clasp or stich has failed.

Cry once and buy an AIM bag!

Cheers
Vince