First time at clays in 6 years

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

First time at clays in 6 years

#1 Post by billgatese30 »

Evening people.

Would like to say thanks to Mark (Blackstuff) for a good night busting clays with the lend of his shotgun at the local club. I apparently did OK considering I haven't had a bash at clays for about 5/6 years (and even then the 50 tonight probably equates to more than 10% of the clays that I have ever shot).

Apparently 35ex50 (with 48 cartridges) isn't bad for a first attempt at a sporting layout but I guess only time will tell. One thing that is for sure though, is that I think tonight will be spent looking for a cabinet on ebay/various forums and the application forms will be printed off tomorrow at work when I get a free 5 mins :grin:

Cheers Mark, I'll see if I can get there in a fortnight and see if I can manage a few more doublers and score you a few spare cartridges :lol:

Cheers

Chris.
Chris
Christel
Site Admin

Re: First time at clays in 6 years

#2 Post by Christel »

Sounds like we have a convert :shakeshout:

Well done Blackstuff!
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

No problem Chris, we need an injection of young blood into the club, it's a little depressing being the youngest member at 33! sign01 I hope the bolshy secretary didn't put you off coming back too much! :roll: Hopefully next time we'll be on a squad with more club members so you can get a chance of trying a variety of guns, although you did very well with mine :good:
DVC
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Sounds like you did very well indeed Chris. I have no idea why new shooters sometimes just pick up a rifle/shotgun whatever and do well. A telling one is wives, often they will show up once to try the sport and do incredibly well never to be seen again.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

There are definitely 'naturals' when it comes to shooting, one of my brothers mates came clay shooting with us a year or so back at a shooting ground and the usual stand i start newbies on was full up so we had to go on the Sporting layout straight away and there are some very challenging targets, he hit 75-80% of them with less than 5 minutes tuition :o

Likewise i've taken my girlfriend to the indoor rifle range and after blatting away for a while and getting used to the gun i put up a 'hostage rescue' type target (below :twisted: ) and she nailed the zombie in the head one shot/first shot no problem. Not bad for first time with a red-dot 9mm :good:

DVC
Polchraine

#6 Post by Polchraine »

As Blackstuff suggests, try a variety of guns until you find one that feels right and you shoot well with.

I was shooting with an inexperienced shot last weekend and he was trying different guns throughout the round.

I was using a double triggered, 26" barrelled SxS which is not really what he needs so did not lend it to him until it was over and gave him some cartridges for it ... After using heavy O&Us he commented how light it was and was then almost knocked over when he shot it!

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

#7 Post by billgatese30 »

Blackstuff wrote:I hope the bolshy secretary didn't put you off coming back too much! :roll:
I've worked with much worse. In fairness so long as you know how to take people like that then they're generally a good laugh. He seemed pretty spot on really, certainly what you could call a "character" :P

I think you're right about trying different guns, I had to shoulder yours quite high to stop the rib looking like a ski ramp, it wasn't the most consistent but I could get away with it. Likewise, I forgot about my ever so slight left eye dominance until I first shouldered it for the first two clays. Pain in the ass remembering to squint when I came to swing into the target, especially the crossers. I might have to add some tape to my safety specs like you had to keep it simple. It should hopefully add up to a few more broken birds next time around. ;)

thanks for the well done though guys, I think it may have been beginners luck though.

Oh, and Cristel, I think "convert" is an understatement :oops: :good:
Chris