Cream of wheat fire forming.

Shooting and reloading related tutorials.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for youtube shooting related content that is educational or interesting. If you have something to add please start a new subject so members can easily find clips. Content can be anything shooting related such as reloading, equipment tutorials and range reports. Members clips are very welcome and try and keep the content UK relevant. The content of the posts in this section can come from many areas and may not necessarily be legal or deemed to be safe practice in the country you are viewing this forum from, use discretion and ask if in doubt.
spud
Home club or Range: Grovesmall Arms

Re: Cream of wheat fire forming.

#11 Post by spud »

using corse ground wheat no
ImageImage
Blu

#12 Post by Blu »

Spud, thank you for the answer, I'll give it a go.

Blu :twisted:
spud

#13 Post by spud »

your most welcome , let me know how you get on
ImageImage
Blu

#14 Post by Blu »

Spud, will do, I plan to start fire forming the 7.62 brass in the next couple of weeks. No shortage of porridge in this house either as I'm a Jock, I love the stuff.

Blu :twisted:
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#15 Post by dodgyrog »

I have heard that cream of wheat can ring bulge your barrel!!!
Any comment on that?
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
spud

#16 Post by spud »

never happened to me yet can t see why it would either
ImageImage
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#17 Post by dromia »

In relation to chamber/barrel ringing you first need to understand the difference between fillers and wads.

Fillers do as they say and the fill the space in the case completely tween the powder and the projectile and if loaded properly with no airspace in the filler then the likelyhood of chamber/barrel ringing is greatly reduced. Spud in his vdeo is attempting to use fillers.

Wads are usually used in small amounts to keep the powder against the flash hole in the rear of the case for consistent ignition leaving an air space tween the wad and the projectile. This is what usually gives chamber/barrel ringing. This happens when the wad compacts, compresses or whatever into a solid enough mass for it to become a "projectile" within the case and when it meets the bullet the bullet becomes an "obstruction" thus leading to a high pressure area between the wad and the bullet until the inertia of the bullet is overcome. Thats what causes chamber/barrel ringing.

Personally I never use fillers or wads except in BP cartridges and ensure that if I am using a wad, say in a 577/4450 Martini it is part of the projectile column and if used as a filler it is well compressed.

In relation to fire forming cases I never use the semolina method described here as I still think there is a likely hood of airspace in the filler and the chance of separation is there, especially in bottlenecked cases as it is difflicult to effectively compress the filler. Airspace separtation within the filler can then create the "projectile obstruction scenario. I have seen various cereal filler compressd into solid slugs when used in cartridges.

That being said this method is used effectively by many but you still hear and see ringing happening too often for me to want to risk it.

When I have the need to fireform cases I use a cast lead bullet, simple, safe and using standard reloading and firing procedures.

Finally Spud I have to say that I was dissappointed to hear you say in the video that you didn't need to go down the range to shoot this load, from my stand point it is still a loaded round you have made and as such should never be chambered let alone fired unless it is aimed on target with a safe "approved" back stop. Please think about the message that you are sending out here.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
spud

#18 Post by spud »

ok thanks for the thoughts , ill be more carefull
ImageImage
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#19 Post by dromia »

No problem Spud we are all trying to do the same thing, share the little we know. :D

Trouble with me is I'm at the point where I've forgotten more than I know now. :shock:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Scotsgun

#20 Post by Scotsgun »

Personally i enjoyed the videos. They were clear, consice and well taken. Personally i'd be interested in seeing the creation of a library of videos sourced from our requests. I want to see a good video showing how to make a casting from a barrel and action.

A quick question, what are the benefits of a AI rifle over the 'normal' one, e.g .243AI over a .243.

Almost forgot, what is the dinky little press and where'd you get it?