Checking for signs of pressure.

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
psychosomatic88
Home club or Range: Offas dyke and Glevum TSC

Re: Checking for signs of pressure.

#11 Post by psychosomatic88 »

Check for signs of pressure is a phrase that really annoyed me when I was learning to reload, since the answers would normally be the - Yeah the usual primer signs and stuff. Not helpful to a new starter but there is some good info here.
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#12 Post by Triffid »

Interesting article on reading pressure signs from your brass, although he doesn't go into measuring case-head expansion.
http://www.primalrights.com/articles/un ... g-pressure

Triffid
sclopetum
Home club or Range: Magna Gun Club, 1066 Rifle and Pistol Club

#13 Post by sclopetum »

This is a really helpful thread. I have just purchased a chrono, and the Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Manual to supplement the manufacturer data I have.

I am curious to know by how much a factory .308 would, typically, expand by at the base? Presumably a micrometer is the best tool for measuring this?

Graham
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#14 Post by dromia »

Good micrometer or calipers.

Regarding the article in the previous post whilst interesting should no way be taken on its own as safe way of measuring pressure, at best it is photographic examples of what happen to those cases, with those loads in that rifle at that time.

The problem with over pressure sign on cases and primers when they appear due to an over pressure load then it is, by definition, already too late!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

Interestingly I had a Mossberg .243Win arrive yesterday evening. The owner has just moved up here and headed down the rage to see if he could buy some ammunition, the answer was no however a kind soul offered him a handful of rounds to get him going. Apparently the first and second went bang, as did the third, however the third did not. At that point he discovered he could not open the bolt at all however with some effort he managed to raise the handle only so now we have a live round in a rifle that cannot be unloaded. With some effort he closed the bolt handle down and pulled the trigger to make it safe and it went bang which did indeed make it safe however the bolt was completely jammed so it was dropped off at gone 20:00 last night.

The good news is the bolt is now removed, a case with a pierced primer discarded and I will check the rifle over carefully this morning and remove the sound moderator which has never come off as it was stuck when he purchased the rifle.

The moral of the story is ever accept ammunition for your rifle from a chap down the range no matter how well meaning things are. Also keep an eye out for any indication that something is not as it should be even if you are working up with reputable load data. The slightest hint of heavy bolt lift and you have gone too far, marks on the case rim around the head stamp are a very good indication as is the state of the primer (Sometimes) Always work with good correctly sized brass and usable data.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#16 Post by dromia »

Ovenpaa wrote: The slightest hint of heavy bolt lift and you have gone too far, marks on the case rim around the head stamp are a very good indication as is the state of the primer (Sometimes) Always work with good correctly sized brass and usable data.
You should never get to a situation where that happens, the whole point of the OP is to avoid getting to an over pressure situation. It should never happen with responsible handloading!

Working up loads and relying on stiff bolts, stiff extraction and "sign" on case head and primers to tell us when to stop is playing Russian roulette, not just with yourself but any other poor sod who is shooting with you.

We are all at risk of making very human errors when handloading, we should not compound this by adopting dodgy practices.

When anyone gets this "sign" just think how close it is the gun letting go, no one should ever get to this condition in load development, there is absolutely no need and to do so is grossly and deliberately irresponsible.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

dromia
Site Admin

#17 Post by dromia »

The person in your tale David who knowingly used someone else's handloads and is totally cavalier with the misfire procedure is a dangerous fool and should not be trusted, I for one would never knowingly shoot beside such a person.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Ovenpaa

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

I do agree however what works for one rifle may be far too much for another rifle and even a 'medium' load from a reputable source might be on the raggedy edge of oblivion hence the need to recognise and acknowledge the severe warning signs.

As an RCO I once watched a chap struggle to extract a fired case on a Rem 700 .308Win and then promptly load another as I walked up to him. I asked him what was going on and he told me he had been given some ammunition by his mate and was shooting it off for the brass.

Not on this range you aint!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#19 Post by Ovenpaa »

dromia wrote:The person in your tale David who knowingly used someone else's handloads and is totally cavalier with the misfire procedure is a dangerous fool and should not be trusted, I for one would never knowingly shoot beside such a person.
I think it is worse than cavalier as it displays a complete lack of understanding, it is worrying just how many people shooting overland do not realise the importance of good maintenance and some basic safety considerations when out be it on your own or with someone else. Something I will discuss with him when he comes to collect his rifle today.

What I will add is this does not apply to all overland shooters, in fact far from it and we have some highly competent overland shooters as customers and as friends however there are still those that look on a rifle as a work tool, shoot it and return it to the cabinet without further thought and that also applies to some range shooters.
/d

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin

#20 Post by dromia »

Ovenpaa wrote:I do agree however what works for one rifle may be far too much for another rifle and even a 'medium' load from a reputable source might be on the raggedy edge of oblivion hence the need to recognise and acknowledge the severe warning signs.
Exactly and that is why it is incumbent 'pon us all to work up loads from the start point using reputable pressure tested printed data and not jump in half way or garner data from other sources like fellow shooters and internet forums.

There should never be an occasion when such dangerous overpressure situations arise due to bad procedure, accidents will happen as we all make mistakes, there but for the grace of god go I, but the risk should never be increased by wilful ignorance and sloppy practice.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!