Electronic Anti cant device

'Something shiny from the SHED' - A range of shooting and reloading accessories designed and built here in the UK.
Ovenpaa

Electronic Anti cant device

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have been building a variety of projects for someone in the Shetlands and he let slip that he had sent down some cases for an OAL gauge plus something else for me to look at. It turned out to be a single 'scope ring and an electronic level for a camera. Today I managed to find some spare time to get it built. Basically it is an electronic level sensor for a camera, a 30,0mm scope ring turned upside down and chopped down to accept a block I machined to take the sensor.

This is the device at the function test stage, annoyingly I could not find an M3 grub screw to hold the sensor in place so it has a cap head at the moment.

The electronic gizmo has 5 LED’s that can be dimmed down for night time use and it is remarkably sensitive as well. The device is bolted to the ‘scope tube using the ring and once level should give good service.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal

Re: Electronic Anti cant device

#2 Post by 1066 »

That looks interesting. How long before the idea gets built into a scope along with the range finder? (Then it's only a short step to programming your ballistic data into your scope via your phone/bluetooth and the cross hairs will always be correct no matter what the range)

The last lot of M3 stainless grub screws I bought the sockets were very rounded and sloppy, unusable.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Dangermouse

#3 Post by Dangermouse »

I agree with 1066, I would not be surprised to see these inside scopes in years to come. I have always been surprised that no one has put a bubble in before now.

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am sure it is already on some, maybe the Barrett BORS or similar and I am sure it was fitted to the ultra trick Hensoldt that was out 3-4 years ago.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
tikkathreebarrels

#5 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

Dangermouse wrote:I agree with 1066, I would not be surprised to see these inside scopes in years to come. I have always been surprised that no one has put a bubble in before now.

DM
I saw a scope with a bubble in it some years ago. The bubble sat at the bottom of the reticle, rather like a turn/bank instrument in an aeroplane.

It was an "American branded" as opposed to Far Eastern or European branded scope so something like a Burris but not a Leupold. Before Nightforce had taken off in a big way. The more I think about Burris...

ISTR that my friend Mr Keri Jones had one.

I could be wrong about that too.

As with all scope anti-cant devices I wonder how much effort people actually put into getting the rifle truly level before mounting the scope in the first place...

Probably over ten years ago.
Hauptman

#6 Post by Hauptman »

It was a Konus M30..........made in Italy, apparently no longer available.

Hauptman
Hauptman

#7 Post by Hauptman »

Dangermouse

#8 Post by Dangermouse »

Not a bad price, was/is it a good scope?
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Hauptman

#9 Post by Hauptman »

I haven't actually had one........if it has stadia lines on the turrets so that you can see at a glance how many turns you have on, I might give it a go.
At the moment, I have a Falcon 4-14 x 44 which has these, and also a zero on windage with increments in left and right. The Falcon has a FFP reticule which lets it down.
Blu

#10 Post by Blu »

Just found this thread, I have three Konus M30 Scopes and for the money the are damn fine scopes. Crosshairs are etched onto the glass and as stated they have the bubble level at the bottom of the scope. The scopes have taken some beating and are still going strong.

Blu :twisted: