Restoring a BSA Model15/centurion

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Restoring a BSA Model15/centurion

#1 Post by Mike357 »

I have just picked up the above for not a lot of money. It is a bit tatty and I'd like to try and return it to something close to its former glory.

The wood I can do ok although stock and forend are mismatched and maybe a modern hydro graphic approach may be better?

As for the metal, how much would it cost to re blue or parkerise the action or barrel? Perhaps Duracoat or Cerakote might be cheaper?

It is no antique and therefore a modern approach isn't going to damage its value.

Any advice on approach and costs? Opinions also welcome.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Ovenpaa

Re: Restoring a BSA Model15/centurion

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have had reasonable results with fine wire wool followed by cold blue kits in the past. Birchwood Casey do them however take care as they are quite toxic.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

I would restore it to its original, they are fine rifles that don't need to be ruined by modern finishes.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

Oh, I have an emoticon in the abyss that would be perfect for this thread however it is sooooo big that I can't apply it.

Anyway, it says...
This thread is worthless without pictures.
;)

So mike357, before and after pictures would be good and yes a hydro approach may well work, it is very fascinating to watch when they apply it.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#5 Post by saddler »

One of the chaps in the Edinburgh area had a hot bluing tank for doing actions/barrels

He's not an RFD so you'd have to be there when he was doing it
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#6 Post by Mike357 »

Saddler, could you make some enquiries and let me know what you come up with?

I'll get some pictures posted soon.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Dave 101

#7 Post by Dave 101 »

Hi Mike

a blueing job isnt expensive , personaly I like to see these old rifles restored to original , whilst not antique a mod 15 is more of a rarity than some of the othe BSA Martini actioned rifles .
Heres some reference material if you havent seen it already http://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_Model_15 ... turion.htm

Heres a Vickers Jubilee I restored I completely took the barrel back to the white and cold blued it myself with good results , the stock I stripped back and finished with tru oil .
before and after

Dave
Sim G

#8 Post by Sim G »

What about browning? I did it to an old Marlin and after a lot of TLC with a yellow duster, the browning came out lovely!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#9 Post by saddler »

Mike357 wrote:Saddler, could you make some enquiries and let me know what you come up with?

I'll get some pictures posted soon.
No need

Out of the blue he's just sent a text to me asking for a leather sling...so have asked him about the bluing tank device thingy....
Will keep you updated!