Badger cull to go ahead

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
tackb

Re: Badger cull to go ahead

#31 Post by tackb »

christel wrote:
tackb wrote:I say give it a try , one thing is for sure talking will not solve the problem.

we cull rats , rabbits (we invented a horrid diesese for floppsey) and many other creatures so why not badgers?

typical 'arh it's cute' sentiment with little real knowledge of the problems

i think this petition will do as much good as the reinstate pistol shooting petitions and fox hunting petitions , a total waste of time.
It's cute!?
Have you ever seen a badger, nothing cute about that if you ask me.
seen a lot of them actually , you do when your out before dawn stalking !

why don't you want to try a limited cull ?
Dougan

#32 Post by Dougan »

tackb wrote:I say give it a try , one thing is for sure talking will not solve the problem.

we cull rats , rabbits (we invented a horrid diesese for floppsey) and many other creatures so why not badgers?

i think this petition will do as much good as the reinstate pistol shooting petitions and fox hunting petitions , a total waste of time.
Rabbits are an introduced species - as we don't eat them as much as we used to, and kill their natural predators...they have, by our own fault, become hard to control.

Rats are found in the highest numbers, where humans either leave food, or don't secure their waste.

Badgers are an endemic British species, that have been here as long as we have, their population has been relatively stable (but now declining due to excessive loss of habitat) and this is the first time they have been considered a problem (well by normal people anyway)

To say it's an 'arh it's cute sentiment' is an insult to environmentalist...the vast majority of which clearly understand the situation better then you do....
tackb

#33 Post by tackb »

Dougan wrote:

Rabbits are an introduced species - as we don't eat them as much as we used to, and kill their natural predators...they have, by our own fault, become hard to control.

Rats are found in the highest numbers, where humans either leave food, or don't secure their waste.

Badgers are an endemic British species, that have been here as long as we have, their population has been relatively stable (but now declining due to excessive loss of habitat) and this is the first time they have been considered a problem (well by normal people anyway)

To say it's an 'arh it's cute sentiment' is an insult to environmentalist...the vast majority of which clearly understand the situation better then you do....
are these enviromentalists the same ones banging on about global warming?

speak to a few cattle farmers about badgers and TB as it affects there livelyhood it's very real for them not just a government funded research paper.

maybe we should eat a few more rabbits , seems wasteful to me not to?
Dougan

#34 Post by Dougan »

I agree about the rabbits...used to eat quite a few when I was younger.

As you say, badgers are a problem for cattle farmers...but it's my personal opinion that there are other solutions than culling...

Now, as for global warming (or climate change, more accurately) - I am assuming that you're purely trying to wind me up (as I don't believe you're stupid)....if not, I'll happily discuss that one with you later....

....but right now, I'm meant to be doing an assignment....funnily enough on climate change.
tackb

#35 Post by tackb »

Dougan wrote:I agree about the rabbits...used to eat quite a few when I was younger.

As you say, badgers are a problem for cattle farmers...but it's my personal opinion that there are other solutions than culling...

Now, as for global warming (or climate change, more accurately) - I am assuming that you're purely trying to wind me up (as I don't believe you're stupid)....if not, I'll happily discuss that one with you later....

....but right now, I'm meant to be doing an assignment....funnily enough on climate change.
correct ! i'm not stupid but i have been known to wind people up sometimes purely in the intrests of good sport though! O:-)

that was the wettest drought in history this year......................... (i'm doing it again!)

as a side note i had this discussion over the weekend (whisky fuelled) and it got round to badger recipes! the only place we could find one was on a russian website kukkuk
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#36 Post by meles meles »

*scowls*
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Dougan

#37 Post by Dougan »

tackb wrote:
Dougan wrote:correct ! i'm not stupid but i have been known to wind people up sometimes purely in the intrests of good sport though! O:-)
Hmmm, I though that might be the case...and I nearly bit too...

....fair play though - there's always room for a little 'sport'... :P
Dougan

#38 Post by Dougan »

meles meles wrote:*scowls*
The government (much to my disappointment) have moved fast on this one - but I still believe that public opinion will soon accumulate against the trials, and when the first ones prove absolutely nothing, then they will be stopped....

....if not, there's always 'direct action' :twisted:
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#39 Post by meles meles »

The presses are already rolling squirrel, the education* division of the Badger Corporation will have every creche, nursery and primary school flooded with pictures, posters and story books of cute badgers within days...

* Propaganda
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Christel
Site Admin

#40 Post by Christel »

The e-petition has reached 100.000.