Scatterguns ?

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

Scatterguns ?

#1 Post by meles meles »

Well oomans, after a lecture or two at the HBSA we're thinking of buying a scattergun or two. What do you recommend - should we apply for a separate shotgun stiffycate or a coterminus stiffycate ? Our FAC has about 2 years to run...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
saddler

Re: Scatterguns ?

#2 Post by saddler »

Benefits to either approach:
S1 toys tend to be cheaper to purchase, plus are more commonly encountered....
PLUS having non-restricted magazines they hold more "bangs" to use Badger speak!
S2 toys are easier as far as paperwork goes, but cost more and hold less bangs.

You could always find S.2 toys & convert to S.1 once paperwork is squared away...

Chris Smith has a nice new Norinco made Win '97 repro for very reasonable money
The '97 is a nice design - also look at Win. model 12's, Ithaca 37's, Remington 11's, Browning Auto 5's and any pre-war designs; esp. John Moses Browning designs...

Happy to provide advice on making brass-tinned "bangs", loading devices/options, contemporary canvas "bang" carrying bags/pouches, etc.

Have quite a specific library on the subject too, if you need any info.
Sim G

#3 Post by Sim G »

saddler wrote:Chris Smith has a nice new Norinco made Win '97 repro for very reasonable money.

How much reasonable?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
saddler

#4 Post by saddler »

Sim G wrote:
saddler wrote:Chris Smith has a nice new Norinco made Win '97 repro for very reasonable money.

How much reasonable?
Will text you, fluffy!
Sim G

#5 Post by Sim G »

Cheers, sweet cheeks!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#6 Post by meles meles »

Yes oomans, but what are the relative merits of a separate SC and a coterminus SC ?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
M99

#7 Post by M99 »

You save money!

But if you have 2 years to run on your at the moment, then separate ones are fine.

Mike
Polchraine

#8 Post by Polchraine »

meles meles wrote:Well oomans, after a lecture or two at the HBSA we're thinking of buying a scattergun or two. What do you recommend - should we apply for a separate shotgun stiffycate or a coterminus stiffycate ? Our FAC has about 2 years to run...
The cost of a coterminus is the SGC or FAC fee plus £10. So, your FAC renewal will be £40 plus £10 (you might have an awkward FEO who insists it the an SGC grant £50 plus £10).

So, with two years to run on your existing you effectively loose £20, however by continuing with coterminus you will save £30 ((40+40) - (40+10)) every five years along with the time to fill out forms speak to referees and wait in for a visit.

Advantages:
Cheaper in the medium and long term.
Only one visit
One less referee to ask

Disadvantages:
None I can think of

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

Polchraine wrote:
Advantages:
Cheaper in the medium and long term.
Only one visit
One less referee to ask

Disadvantages:
None I can think of
Disadvantages;
If your FLD is running behind on processing renewals you're not going shooting at all! :bad:

I purposely have my certificates expiring on different dates to avoid the above as my FAC expires during the bulge of certificates caused when they were switched from 3 year to 5 year renewals. I'd rather pay an extra £40 once every 5 years than being stopped from going shooting even if its just for a day!
DVC
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

Wise words Mark. The Viking has a coterminus certificate which is in for renewal at present, she put it in very early and I am prepared to put money on it being back either same week as the old one expires or late...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal