Fac first grant application

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

chris123321

Fac first grant application

#1 Post by chris123321 »

Hi guys, have just joined up to ask a question or two:

Ive been given permission to shoot foxes and rabbits on the estate I live on in the Highlands and intend to buy a .22lr and a .223, although theres more than enough space and decent backstop in one area (a plateau surrounded by 4 mountains, effectively a walled in plateau) with absolutely no other visitors or roads for a few miles, that I wouldnt mind using to do a bit of target shooting aswell. Would I need to put this on my FAC as an intended use or just put that I intend to shoot rabbits and foxes?

Having a few problems with mounting a gun cabinet and ammo safe. Every wall in my house has drywall and pretty much no brick outside walls (bar bolting the cabinet to the outside of my house which I doubt will be acceptable!) that I could bolt it too, would it be acceptable to bolt it to the floor?

does anyone here have any experience with the Northern Constabulary and FAC's? I have some experience from farms shooting a few bolt actions and some experience shooting pistols, shotguns and AK47's whilst at shooting ranges when abroad, is it likely I'd be granted an FAC for a .223 straight pull? would I need to specify its a straight pull?

Lastly, I havnt been in this neck of the woods for long and so my referees are all from way down south, would this be a problem for use as referees? is a bit of a jumble sending all the forms all over the place to old mates!

If only I knew anyone professional at all I'd be able to get a countersigner for the SGC but alas, I'm completely stumped for who I can ask!

Thanks very much for any help anyone can provide,
CDM5
Home club or Range: Tidworth RPC & Bisley

Re: Fac first grant application

#2 Post by CDM5 »

I had the same issue with mounting my cabinet & drywall. I just moved! :lol:

No, the FEO said it could be bolted to the floor boards or to a rafter in the attic.

RE target shooting, put vermin control and zeroing.
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#3 Post by M99 »

chris123321 wrote:Hi guys, have just joined up to ask a question or two:

Ive been given permission to shoot foxes and rabbits on the estate I live on in the Highlands and intend to buy a .22lr and a .223, although theres more than enough space and decent backstop in one area (a plateau surrounded by 4 mountains, effectively a walled in plateau) with absolutely no other visitors or roads for a few miles, that I wouldnt mind using to do a bit of target shooting aswell. Would I need to put this on my FAC as an intended use or just put that I intend to shoot rabbits and foxes?
You just need to put Vermin/fox (depends on your FLM) and Zeroing.
Having a few problems with mounting a gun cabinet and ammo safe. Every wall in my house has drywall and pretty much no brick outside walls (bar bolting the cabinet to the outside of my house which I doubt will be acceptable!) that I could bolt it too, would it be acceptable to bolt it to the floor?
The floor is usually fine - but a call to the FLO and a question put to them, will go a long way in seeing that you are trying to do it their way!!
does anyone here have any experience with the Northern Constabulary and FAC's? I have some experience from farms shooting a few bolt actions and some experience shooting pistols, shotguns and AK47's whilst at shooting ranges when abroad, is it likely I'd be granted an FAC for a .223 straight pull? would I need to specify its a straight pull?
No experience of NC - but you just need to apply for a .223/5.56 Rifle.
Lastly, I havnt been in this neck of the woods for long and so my referees are all from way down south, would this be a problem for use as referees? is a bit of a jumble sending all the forms all over the place to old mates!

If only I knew anyone professional at all I'd be able to get a countersigner for the SGC but alas, I'm completely stumped for who I can ask!

Your referees do not need to be local - so down south is fine.

Mike
huntervixen
Home club or Range: The Severn Side Range

#4 Post by huntervixen »

chris123321 wrote:Hi guys, have just joined up to ask a question or two:

Hi Chris,

First off as someone has said, you can nicely sidestep the the "target" bit by adding zeroing to vermin control...(sounds like you have a suitable back stop)!!!

Second, if you attach your Cabinet to the floor, make sure it's a solid (preferably concrete) base and in the corner of the room, preferably also a room that can't be accessed from outside (if possible)

With regards to .223/556mm, I would just put "RIFLE" in the type column.

And your referees can live anywhere in the UK mate, no problems there.

Cheers, John.
Two margarines .... is there anything worse? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4cEocL5kI
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#5 Post by Mike357 »

Welcome to FBUK.

Tayside police were happy for my cabinet to be recessed in the palsterboard, bolted to new dwangs and then screwed to the floor. Has a nice little silicone bead around it where it meets the wall.

Sandgroper will be along soon to comment on all things NC.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!