GH Gledhill’s Patent Cash Till

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa

GH Gledhill’s Patent Cash Till

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

As gunsmiths/a gunshop we sell our products, plus consumable items at the workshop counter here in Binbrook, as well as on-line. Guns, ammunition and cartridges are also being collected daily (Excluding lock downs!)

Direct sales are usually by card or cheque, so cash sales, when they happen, tend to be quite an informal affair with an invariably struggle to find change.

So we have invested in a dedicated EPOS system.

More accurately, we have purchased a GH Gledhill’s Patent Cash Till, a wonderful device that is probably 100 years old (Correct me if I am wrong please) Is made from Mahogany, with cast iron and brass bits, rings a bell when you open the drawer and advances a till roll at the same time to enable you to make a note of the transaction.

Except it didn’t when it arrived. Instead, it was splattered with paint, the locks were either damaged or missing, the handle for the drawer gone, the till roll mechanism would not advance and the glass covering the till roll was missing. Now this is not to say I was unhappy with our acquisition, in fact far from it. At under GBP40.00 delivered it was a bit of a bargain, plus it gave me a chance to add my own touch, to make it ours .

When the drawer is opened a bell rings which it did, however the till roll mechanism did not advance. Also, the drawer had an interlock/ratchet system which means it had to be returned to the fully closed position before it would open again, this was also in a non functioning state.

The key for the top lock was also missing and the top plate damaged, my view is it had been forced at some point. The bottom lock had long since been removed.

My Grandfather was a joiner/cabinet maker and I still have some of his old locks and keys plus a load of brass wood screws so a key was found and the lock modified to accept a spare key. I should have taken some pictures…

The paper advance was intriguing, it looks to have been reversed at some point so the paper would no longer advance, additionally, the dog that trips the system was bent down and when I removed it I noticed some paper packers which had been used to stop the cam slipping over. I like little challenges like this as you cannot just google them, you have to think things through. The paper roll now advances.

The trip/ratchet to prevent the drawer being opened again once you started to close it was worn, however some careful filing allowed the trip to drop down further and operate. This is the drawer ready to be oiled with some coins for scale. The .22 Shorts are there because I could.

Finally, a piece of glass to cover the paper was needed, a piece of 3,0mm Lexan did the job.

With the mechanical side of things working as it should, I ordered a cast iron cup handle for the drawer ( We are currently using the bottom key to open and close the drawer) Hopefully it will be here next week, can be blacked and fitted.

That only left the wood. It is either a Mahogany or very similar coloured wood and was showing it’s age. I started with a wipe down with Methylated Spirits, from here I could raise some of the dents with an Iron, then rub everything down with wire wool and more Methylated Spirits before applying wax, initially with wire wool followed by hand with wait periods and buffing in-between. The wax I use is to a secret recipe from Nick at NB Guns and is so secret he usually gives me the ingredients in a bag to make it, excluding the boiled linseed oil and I put everything together on the stove.

I can see it will take a few more coats of wax yet, however it is looking good so far. One thing I did notice is there is a worn section on the top of the cash till between the front edge and the till roll, it took me until it was on the counter to realise that is the part you would rest your hand on when entering the transaction to the paper roll. The Till is also at a perfect elbow leaning height which probably explains the worn area.

Total time spent is probably a couple of hours and well worth the effort I reckon. I know, it is not really gun related however I thought it might be of interest and yes, I did screw it to the counter.
label.jpg
20210130_140230.jpg
20210130_111350.jpg
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
redcat
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

Re: GH Gledhill’s Patent Cash Till

#2 Post by redcat »

Had one like that in the shop where I worked in the sixties.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#3 Post by 1066 »

I love working with old stuff like that - A while ago I renovated an old clocking in machine, very much the same type of feel to your till. Beautiful cast brass clock frame with large platform escapement, all with the card stamping mechanism in a mahogany case (1910'ish)
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Most of my transactions are cash as I refuse to deal in plastic.

I have the most timeless and portable of all tills, the hip pocket!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

We had a proper till by the time I had started my Saturday job.

I am watching an old punch clock on 'that' auction site at the moment.

Many years ago I had to clock in at 0700, I have three minutes grace so I could clock in at 0703 however I lost my attendance allowance which was a fiver, a lot of money in the mid 70's. However, you could always clock in at 0703 and blot in the zeroes and the three with the correct coloured pen which my mate had. After that you could try and hang it out until 0708 and try the same again however the assistant foreman would wander over to take the clock cards in so you had to play hide and seek with him and he was not stupid...

Failing that just either tear your clock card up, or not clock in, neither of which I had the nerve to do. Clock in at 0704 and you were down a fiver plus a quarter of an hours pay and woe betide you if you made yourself a cup of tea in 'Your' remaining quarter.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#6 Post by 1066 »

I've got this one in the "in tray" awaiting a duff up. It's all working well, just a bit scruffy.

TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#7 Post by 1066 »

I picked up this old dog yesterday - in need of a total rebuild, however the old Lyman M5 is and excellent scale and well worth the effort. It's missing it's dust cover and as there's no spares for these things I have decided to have a go at designing and 3d printing one.

The CAD went well and I'm now 6 hours into a 30 hour print.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Kb-jzIQN2Xs[/youtube]
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

dave, any chance of a more zoomed out pic with the drawer open and the top open?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

The division between the back two divisions has broken out. Just noticed I wrote the wrong date as well however it was just a test of the till roll which is 80mm wide and should be a smidge under 4" which I could not source.
20210130_194753.jpg
/d

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

Very nice you can,t beat a bit of nice wood. If only it could talk. :squirrel: