Does hand-loading increase your enjoyment of shooting?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Itskeith
Home club or Range: Home club

Does hand-loading increase your enjoyment of shooting?

#1 Post by Itskeith »

Background to the question (skip this bit if you want):

I have noticed that some guys in the Hi Fi world prefer listening to vinyl over streaming. Putting any sound quality differences aside, the reasons I’ve heard for this in the past for this include: enjoying the ritual of physically handling and cleaning the vinyl, and the ‘connection’ from placing the stylus on the record etc.

So, do you think handloading your own ammunition increase your enjoyment of shooting in any way (as opposed to using factory loaded ammunition)?

Cheers.
Keith

PS. I think i mean hand-loading and / or reloading!
Alpha1

Re: Does hand-loading increase your enjoyment of shooting?

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Hand loading is an hobby in it self it is addictive once you go down that rabbit hole there is no going back. I shoot so I have empty cases to re load.
shotgun sam

#3 Post by shotgun sam »

It is a slippery slope to go down, the search for the perfect reload and then trying to improve on that.
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Vossie
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Bisley

#4 Post by Vossie »

I spent my day making black powder 44-40 loads, switching to BP loading makes shooting that rifle so much better.
For me it's about enhancing the enjoyment and experience, as I also load BP for Martini Henry.
I do reload 38spl, but that is more of a chore than a cheer.
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#5 Post by 1066 »

Yes, reload for all my calibres - I can't remember the last time I bought a factory round - Thats not true as I sometime buy military surplus rounds for the .223 if I see it cheap.

Yes, enjoy looking for the perfect load.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
PeterN
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#6 Post by PeterN »

I have reloaded for all the calibres I shoot. For some, reloading is a necessity as factory ammunition is not available here for some calibres I shoot such as 8x52R Siamese, 8x50R Styr, 6.5 Japanese, 7.7 Japanese, 6.5x58 and 7.65x53 Argentine.
Regards
Peter.
Pete
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#7 Post by Pete »

There's certainly more satisfaction to be had when you get a good score with ammo you made up yourself.........and it's cheaper.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
The Gun Pimp

#8 Post by The Gun Pimp »

No - not at all - but shooting top quality ammunition does and there's only one way to get that.......
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

Yes and no for me. I find the process of working up a load annoying and tedious. As is case preparation. However, the instant availability of the exact round I want/need makes it worth it. There are small savings to be made if you're not too fussy about what you're shooting and/or are using cheap bullets e.g. 55gr FMJ .223

I also load my own solid slug for shotguns and the savings to be made there are ridiculous (My slug load is now cheaper than buying factory birdshot and 1/3 the price of factory slug! kukkuk ). There's also no case prep if you just use new primed cases each time. shakeshout
DVC
Jorden
Home club or Range: ponteland

#10 Post by Jorden »

I put it in the same league as tying flies for fishing, there is the greatest satisfaction in starting from scratch and ending up with the best you (and your equipment) can do, often better than bought products.