newbie question on muzzle loading pistols

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: newbie question on muzzle loading pistols

#11 Post by dodgyrog »

meles meles wrote:Oh no ooman, some of them can be very accurate. Even we have put 5 rounds into the black at 25 yards with a .45 Ruger Old Army...
What projectile and powder load please?
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#12 Post by dromia »

Sim G wrote:

That's about it in a nut shell. The work of the MLAGBNI had muzzle loaders exempted from the legislation. A great deal of hard work which paid off. The other organisations on the other hand maintained a "dignified silence".......

Not quiet correct, the HBSA was also involved in saving what could be from the post Dunblane government vindictiveness, they were responsible for section 7.3 and supported the retention of M/Ls.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
LeighC

#13 Post by LeighC »

Perhaps I should have added - in my hands the M/L revolver only throws lead in the general direction of!

I should really take the time to bench rest it and set the foresight, but I only shoot it for fun rather than competition
ResearchPress
Home club or Range: Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB

#14 Post by ResearchPress »

Top score in last weekend's MLAGB English Pistol Championships with a repro. revolver was 97 and with an original revolver 93. These are fired one handed at 25 yards on a target with a 50mm dia ten ring. Have a look at the pistol results for MLAGB matches at: http://www.mlagb.com/shooting/results/index.htm

David
www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#15 Post by meles meles »

dodgyrog wrote:
meles meles wrote:Oh no ooman, some of them can be very accurate. Even we have put 5 rounds into the black at 25 yards with a .45 Ruger Old Army...
What projectile and powder load please?

Hmmmm, it wasn't our gun so we don't know. The powder was black, we stuffed as much in the cylinders as we were told. The projectiles were round lead balls.*

* Badgers are usually very helpful are they ?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
brick

#16 Post by brick »

they can be incredibly accurate, i can hit clays at 100m off a bench with .36 pedersolli i believe its due to the parabolic curve of the projectile and if you find the correct distsnce/powder charge they can be very accurate.

Brick
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#17 Post by meles meles »

We liked it because it felt very different to the service pistols, mainly Browning and Sig 9mm, that we have shot more often. Instead of a sharp recoil that flipped the muzzle up, we found the blackpowder pistol just tended to give us a good, long shove straight back and then returned right back to the pointing at the target. Maybe it's more to do with the automatics having moving lumps flying everywhere or something rather than the characteristics of the powder. Ask some smart ooman like Dromia for clarification, but we liked it...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"