Snider identity

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

3bravo

Snider identity

#1 Post by 3bravo »

Snider Question.
I recently purchased a snider carbine at auction, it was described as a cavalry carbine but it looks as though it is a private purchase sporting carbine with the correct snider trade/approval mark and no military acceptance marks. Overall condition was not bad no rot or rust, visible rifling, good lock mechanism, firing pin missing(now replaced), BUT no backsight or any evidence of one ever being fitted, it looks identical to a gaol carbine, but with rifleing, anyone got any thoughts on this? Did gaol carbines come smoothbore or would some have been rifled .
There are no manufactures marks or serial numbers, it was said to have come from South Africa, no written provinance or proof.
Thanks in advance for any assistnce :flag6:
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Snider identity

#2 Post by dromia »

Pictures would be great assistance here.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
3bravo

#3 Post by 3bravo »

Thanks for the prompt response at the moment photo's are not possible (unless photo's of all the component parts would do). I'll get something sorted out at the weekend hopefully!
saddler

#4 Post by saddler »

I can add a little

Cavalry carbines had NO sling fittings - zero

IF the stock has sling fittings on it, the carbine is not a cavalry one
3bravo

#5 Post by 3bravo »

thanks for the intial responses I'm not at home this weekend so no photo's , briefly no provisions for swivels, ramrod/cleaningrod,buttrap, saddle sling or rearsight. It has a flat faced hammer, iron barrel and a single barrel band. On the underside of the barrel the bore gauge (25) is stamped and also under the breach.. The snider patent mark and 148 and 39 are also under the barrel . Roman numeral 1 and /\ I think these are. armourers marks under breach. No marks on tang or plug. No marks on brass work, inspection initial inside lock, small roundell upper right stock delibrately destroyed. I know a picture is better than a 1000 words so hud yur wheesht for a wee while. Thanks everyone :flag6:
3bravo

#6 Post by 3bravo »

I've taken loads of photo's but can't upload them so the written description will have to do sorry
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/