Pyrodex and Proof

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

dave_303

Pyrodex and Proof

#1 Post by dave_303 »

I had a rather heated debate with a friend of a friend regarding pyrodex. His asertation is that shooting pyrodex in a reproduction BP breaks its proof and therefore the law. I can't see this brig the case, to me I thought Pyrodex came within BP proof and secondly you wouldn't be breaking the law it just isn't advisable, any thoughts? Personally new to BP so still learning the ins and outs
Individual

Re: Pyrodex and Proof

#2 Post by Individual »

dave_303 wrote: His asertation is that shooting pyrodex in a reproduction BP breaks its proof and therefore the law.
What does "breaks it's proof" mean?

Proof just tells you that on a certain date at a certain time the barrel was subjected to a controlled pressure and survived it.
Perfectly legal to own and use a firearm that hasn't been proven. Proof only required for sale - not for use.

As you say - wouldn't be advisable to exceed proof pressure - but isn't illegal.
Although it could land you in trouble if others injured as a result.

Heated debate.... troutslapping required
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

Pyrodex is considered a "Smokeless" propellant whereas Black Powder is an explosive so technically a BP proofed only firearm is not proofed for "smokeless" propellants so theoretically it wouldn't be proofed for Pyrodex.

However as has been said proof is only necessary for the sale of firearms not for the legal shooting of them.

It must be remembered that most hand loading developments come from the USA where there is no compulsory system of proof so the intricacies of our system is irrelevant to them.

Personally I don't use BP substitutes in BP proof only guns as I have seen pressure spiking with such powders and do not like them as a substitute. However as a propellant in there own right I have had in the past good success with Pyrodex loads in a 45-70 Ruger falling block rifle that was nitro proofed. That was many years ago and was a passing fancy and now I stick to BP for BP loads.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Sim G

#4 Post by Sim G »

dave_303 wrote:I had a rather heated debate with a friend of a friend regarding pyrodex. His asertation is that shooting pyrodex in a reproduction BP breaks its proof and therefore the law. I can't see this brig the case, to me I thought Pyrodex came within BP proof and secondly you wouldn't be breaking the law it just isn't advisable, any thoughts? Personally new to BP so still learning the ins and outs

Edited myself.....

It was too rude, even for me.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
dave_303

#5 Post by dave_303 »

Sim feel free to PM I'm rather curious now! ;)