Adjustable Cheek Pad Ver.1

Post a picture or Youtube of something interesting, no peaches or muffins please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
If your post is vaguely 'Not Work Safe' please include NWS in the Subject field.
TobyH

Adjustable Cheek Pad Ver.1

#1 Post by TobyH »

I had already made a basic cheek pad for a stock that I was going to have a Howa action built on but that didn't work out. After shooting my new Tooley made rifle a couple of weekends ago I decided to use the cheek pad for this one instead as I was a bit low in the cheek.

It's made from Makrolon (perspex) that I folded by getting it up to approx. 155 deg C in the oven. I made a very simple mould for it using several bits of dowl. I then used a dremmel to cut and shape it. I've used stainless M6 alan headed bolts along with a stainless washer at either end, I also used rubber washers between each layer to give it something to grip on. The knobs I got from t-nuts.com which also sell the harris bipod swivel levers.

Feels really nice on the cheek especially with the light sand blasting to make it a matt finish. It's not perfect, but as a first attempt I'm quite pleased. Definitely something I can improve on in the future.

Anyway, some pics.

Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Re: Adjustable Cheek Pad Ver.1

#2 Post by Mike357 »

Looks great but I'd cry at having to drill a stock that cost that much :-)
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
TobyH

#3 Post by TobyH »

Yes, there was a moments hesitation, and lots (and I mean LOTS!!) of checking for measurements etc.

But, it now fits me perfectly and will be a pleasure to use, rather than getting neck ache before.

And with my expertise as a master craftsman I reckon it's added value!!!! ;) :D
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

I like it, well done for getting the Black & Decker out on it as well.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#5 Post by Christel »

Looks fab, Toby, and I am sure it will be a pleasure to shoot with that cheek piece.
It makes a huge difference when the rifle is adjusted to you and not you adjusting yourself to the rifle.

Is that a scratch I can see?
Waaaaaaaaahhh!

:lol: 8-)
TobyH

#6 Post by TobyH »

Is that a scratch I can see?
Waaaaaaaaahhh!
Err no, must be poor eye sight!! :lol: ;)

(ok, yes it is, slipped with the dremmel! Ver. 2 will be better!)
TobyH

#7 Post by TobyH »

well done for getting the Black & Decker out on it as well.
The dremmel was actually perfect for the job, especially the slots in it. Would struggle with anything else. Am fortunate that my dad has quite a few tools.