Steyr SSG 69 PII

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Dangermouse

Steyr SSG 69 PII

#1 Post by Dangermouse »

I had the opportunity to shoot a SSG when I first joined my club, and despite the scars on my thumb from week hand shooting, and the temperamental magazines, I would be interested in owning a Police model before they become extinct.

Does anyone on the forum consider themselves an expert on this rifle?
I have a couple of queries. I understand that only the Police models had the "tactical bolt handle" is this true?
Did the Police model come with open sights as well?
I remember someone talking about the barrels on the SSG, at one stage or another they were fixed on in such a manner that they could not be replaced - anyone know anything re this?
Would the actions be marked "Police" or are there any tell tale signs or markings which denote that these were Police rifles? I know the barrels were suppose to be heavier than the military ones, but if I only have one to examine, I will have nothing to compare it to.

For authenticity I would be untested in mounting a period scope, I guess a 8x or 10x might be as high as they went. Can anyone throw some names into the post for scopes used by British police on these rifles?

I know they are hens teeth now, but should anyone have or know of the ten round mags, I would be interested, as would I if there are any complete set ups out there.

DM
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Steyr SSG 69 PII

#2 Post by 20series »

DM

There's one on here scroll down the page to .308 ;)

http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/second_hand_firearms.html

HTH
Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Nice rifles. My immediate reaction would be a Kahles or Pecar scope for authenticity.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#4 Post by Dangermouse »

Good spot 20 series, I had seen that previously but not clocked it as a Police model.
Will give him a call during the week to talk about price,

DM
pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

#5 Post by pe4king »

I had the chance of one about 5 years ago apparently from a cancelled order, the rifle came in a case with a Khales ZF 6 power BDC scope, QD rings a very nice bit of kit I would have loved it but at the time it was a bit too rich for me. The only downside is the price of the mags, and I have been told the barrels are pressed into the reciever and therefor have to be machined out if you need to change the barrel however the barrels are hammer forged and chrome lined and are good for 10000 rds plus
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
Dangermouse

#6 Post by Dangermouse »

I read that the barrels are screwed in and then pressed, apparently a very rigid system but almost impossible to replace.
A lot of trust will be needed should I find one that has only done the industry standard 200 rounds!

Magazines are expensive, just searching the Internet for 10 round mags at the moment and can not find any. 5 round mags are over £100.

DM
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Blackstuff on this forum has one from memory. I remember seeing one new and unshot for sale complete with case, factory fitted 'scope and test card a few years ago, I tried to persuade Christel to get it however she did not agree that she 'needed' it :(

I have always been very taken with them. If you get it I will be more than happy to help you wear the barrel out on Stickledown ;)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#8 Post by bnz41 »

Hi,
I think you will find you cannot fit a ten round mag in a SSG only 5 rounder. All steyr rifles used to be only 5 round mags then they offered an update kitted mag well, allowing you to load 9 rounds. I know I own a steyr in .308. Later models like the SSG 08 & SSG04 do have 10 round mags. The SSG sport is the one that has open sights not the Police. Bolt handles not true mine has one.
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

I own a SSG P1 yes it is true the barrels are pressed into the reciever you can not replace the barrel so its important if you find one to check its OK before you buy.
The barrels are hammer forged if you look closely at the barrel it has a rippled effect.
They have a heavy barrel fitted the SSG P1 does not have any iron sights.
The originals were fitted with a Khales scope the mounts are integral to the reciever the scopes are fitted with quick release rings you can pop the scope off in minutes it goes back on with out loosing zero.
The scope is click adjustable out to 800yds.
The bolt is fitted with a target knob.
Ten round mags are available they are about £100 each the rifle comes with one 5 round mag as standard.
I lucked onto mine several years ago it was in a local gun shop the guy who owned it was giving up shooting.
It came in a carry case with two 5 round magazines two 10 round magazines the original Khales scope the factory test group card and a ream of re loading data the guy had built up whilst shooting it in comps.
The rifle shoots like a dream it is extremely accurate,
The longest distance I have shot it over is 600yds and that was no problem.
I am not a accuracy buf I just shoot for fun but my experience tells me that in the right hands a SSG P1 would be a potent piece of kit.
Any way you can shoot it at Diggle in June.
I will post some pics if you are intrested.
Gun Pimp

#10 Post by Gun Pimp »

Had one many years ago with 10X Khales and shot practical rifle on the UK circuit with it as it was one of the few rifles you could get 10-rounds mags. for. But the mags were not good (which is why Steyr stopped making them).

Also the plastic stock is rubbish - take out the barrelled-action and you can twist and flex it with little effort. I eventually fitted a McMillan McHale (copy of Parhker Hale's M85sniper stock in fibreglass) and it certainly improved it.

Cheers
Vince