Bit O Plinking

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Demonic69

Bit O Plinking

#1 Post by Demonic69 »

I finally managed to get an hour or so's shooting done at Thurnscoe on Easter Monday.
Took the G22 and 597 VTR with a few hundred rounds of assorted .22LR to see what each liked, targets at 50mard.
First up was the G22, it rattled through everything I tried without a single grumble. I forgot I had to take my own targets so had to use some spares form the last club day, most were pretty shot up but I found one with a bit of free space.
I couldn't see the POI for the life of me! There just wasn't enough clean target for me to even begin to dial in the scope, next time I'll take some plain white and some clean targets and get it zeroed properly.
I was really impressed by it to be honest (just the cycling, who knows how it was shooting), the slating it gets on the internet wasn't justified in my eyes, apart from the trigger; which is crap but I found it predictable and it's one thing I plan to fix.
Second was the VTR, I took 2x Gen3 10rd factory mags and 2 "25rd" mags.
The Remington 25rd mag was crap, which is typical; that's the one I Hydro-Dipped! It barely fed 2 rounds before stopping and needing a bit of a tap. The second one - MB/Eagle - was fine though and fed 10, then 25 rounds with only a couple of stoppages. The factory mags were fine, but still with a few light strikes (Remington ammo) and the odd failure to chamber/eject.
The rifle was shooting superbly apart from the FTE/FTF, got the scope dialled in and put 3 rounds in the same hole!
I was running short on time (SWMBO wanted me back for 1) so I didn't get the chance to do any really thorough testing :(

Luckily for me one of the Club members, who also handles the open days, was there for a chat about the failures. He's had experience with 597s and pointed out the issue straight away, the chamber was peened from too much dry-firing (not by me :P) and suggested I take it to South Yorks Firearms (Rimfire Magic) to get the chamber ironed out. There was clear scoring down each of the rounds that failed and you could see the welt in the chamber when you knew what to look for.
As they have my S1 Hatsan waiting for my variation I may as well pop the 597 in while I'm there.
Fingers crossed that's the only issue with the rifle and I get another chance soon to see what it can do.

The range was empty and the weather was lovely!
Who says plinking's not real shooting, you wouldn't want to iron these creases out during a competition would you?
Ovenpaa

Re: Bit O Plinking

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

We used to use sheets of Foamex cut to around 18" square for sighting in, it is similar to the stuff estate agents use to make their advertising boards with. These days I always have a few spare indicator type sticky back targets and a spare set of ear defenders in the car, just in case...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Demonic69

#3 Post by Demonic69 »

That's not a bad idea David! I do need to sort out a shooting bag too as I just stuck everything I thought I might need in my rucksack, after emptying it of all my work rammel :D
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

A few spares and consumables left in the car can be a life saver on occasion. I did notice my son has an AK47 magazine in the passenger side pocket of his T5 which is probably taking things to extremes.

EDIT - Forgot to add it is worth having a dedicated range bag as well.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal