Home made sling

Post a picture or Youtube of something interesting, no peaches or muffins please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
If your post is vaguely 'Not Work Safe' please include NWS in the Subject field.
TobyH

Home made sling

#1 Post by TobyH »

Saw a post (can't remember where) about a chap that made a sling from webbing, so I made one. Very effective, but I thought as I know a little about leather work I'm sure I could do something out of leather.

Had a look around to see what was about regarding how manufacturers fixed the sling to the swivels. Finally saw one that was very easy to make and no stitching at all (which is always good as it's the stitching that takes forever!).

Reckon it took me about 4 hours, starting from scratch. Designing, measuring, cutting, punching, finishing tools, dye-ing, beeswax, mink oiling, then measuring up sling to my 'scout' so it fits well (made extra holes so it is changeable).

The brass bits are called 'Sam Browne 501' studs. Put a small punch hole in the leather, put the bolt through then bolt on the 'mushroom' bit. Then on the other bit of strap, punch a bigger hole and slice about 1.2 times the diameter of the 'bulb' so that it fits through but won't come out easily (and it doesn't!) the tension in the sling is all thats needed to keep it in place. Very simple yet more than strong enough.

The leather is 3.5mm thick Veg Tan Hide from 'Le Prevo' in Newcastle. They do everthing you could possibly want in terms of leather work (not affiliated etc). Because of the rough surface on the back it is very good as a 'non-slip' surface. I was thinking about sewing some chamois on the rear but have decided it works very well as it is. The dye is not as perfect as it could be, but I quite like the slightly rougher look about it. The sun makes it look worse than it does in real life, the indoor shot looks more realistic.

Enough jibber jabber, here's the pics:

Got to make another one for another rifle that has slightly wider swivels, should be alot quicker as I can use this as a template...
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Home made sling

#2 Post by Christel »

That looks fab TobyH!

Does the leather come stitched from where you bought it from?
What did you use to attach it to the rifle?
TobyH

#3 Post by TobyH »

There's no stitching on it at all. I used the brass studs to hold the sling into the swivels. If you look at the 3rd picture you can see the leather goes through the swivel and the is attached back onto itself using the studs.

Have a look here to give you an idea of what they look like:http://www.leprevo.co.uk/photos/sam-browne-501.html

You make a hole then a slight off the hole so you can fit the bulb through the leather.
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Nice job, how did you put the detail line on around the edge?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TobyH

#5 Post by TobyH »

I've got a couple of tools for finishing off the leather. One of them:http://www.leprevo.co.uk/photos/adjust_groover.html

It's got a cutter on the L-shaped bit, the main bit runs along the edge of the leather.
Christel
Site Admin

#6 Post by Christel »

Ah that's what I meant, that line along the edge.
Thought it was stitching.

:D
TobyH

#7 Post by TobyH »

Was going to add some padded chamois to the back, and that's where I would have stitched. I use the tool I used there plus a rotary wheel that marks where the stitching holes go as well. Then its the very long task of actually doing the stitching, very slow process. Decided it didn't need it after all.

I might look at making an embossing tools so I can make my own 'mark' on the leather.