Cawdor 20/07/14

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Cawdor 20/07/14

#1 Post by Sandgroper »

Spent a pleasant day at the range at Cawdor. Today was the Harrow Cup competition for iron sighted service rifles, however I wasn't shooting the cup today. My son had a day off from his skating and was shooting with me today.

We did our stint in the butts and then took our turn to shoot. Tomas did well with the Destroyer at 100m consistently hitting the Fig 11 we set up. I then broke out the Steyr and put down a few rounds to check the accuracy of the Steyr with the (temporary) higher sight - it worked a treat and now just to find one the right hight.

After that I zeroed the Savage (22 Hornet) at 200m with factory Hornady ammo and was very impressed with the results. At 300m it was quite easy to keep the Hornet in and about the centre of the target, however, the odd gust really moved the light (35gn) bullets about. Tomas wasn't too keen on the Savage as the bipod was too high for him but he did well to keep it the scoring zone, especially as it was his first time shooting at 300m. clapclap

All in all another good day! :good:

Tomas with the Savage at 300m
Photo0186.jpg
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
DW58

Re: Cawdor 20/07/14

#2 Post by DW58 »

Hmmm ... ... ... service rifle competition ... ... ... well I have at least bought a suitable rifle, but thanks to slow progress on my variation by Police Scotland, it's still sitting on a friend's RFD in Perth.

Never mind, as Grant says it was a nice day to bang off a few rounds of .308w.
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#3 Post by 20series »

good effort and nice to see your young lad getting his eye in at 300 party2 and that's a beautiful looking range you have up there :goodjob:

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
DW58

#4 Post by DW58 »

It's a fantastic range, here it is pictured from the 600yd firing point with the 500yd point in the middle ground.

But there is one tiny disadvantage at this time of year.

Millions of them!
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#5 Post by Sandgroper »

20series wrote:good effort and nice to see your young lad getting his eye in at 300 party2 and that's a beautiful looking range you have up there :goodjob:

Alan
He's not a bad shot, although 'his' rifles are taking up my cabinet space and he wants more!
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
froggy

#6 Post by froggy »

Wahoooo ... That looks such a beautiful place :good:
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#7 Post by 20series »

Sandgroper wrote:
20series wrote:good effort and nice to see your young lad getting his eye in at 300 party2 and that's a beautiful looking range you have up there :goodjob:

Alan
He's not a bad shot, although 'his' rifles are taking up my cabinet space and he wants more!

Lol, sounds like he's keen then :good: I got my lad a CZ452 .22lr and he like having a plink but he's not over fussed
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
DW58

#8 Post by DW58 »

My son Jamie (now 21yo and a member here) started smallbore at the age of 12 or so, and has been obsessed ever since, now shoots smallbore, fullbore and clays.

Cawdor is a lovely range, hence the fact that Jamie and I shoot there with two clubs to get the maximum use of such a great range.
DW58

#9 Post by DW58 »

A different view of Cawdor range, taken from the 200 (and 100)yd firing point looking over the four bench-rests to the Gallery range below and in the distance the butts with three target frames. the Gallery range area and the area between the gallery targets and butts is also a well equipped clay range with a full array of traps.