A fairly unique week house sitting....

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Tiff

Re: A fairly unique week house sitting....

#11 Post by Tiff »

Swamp Donkey

#12 Post by Swamp Donkey »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407270009.018021.jpg
Saw this, thought 'Tiff'
Tiff

#13 Post by Tiff »

20series wrote:Tiff, you are one lucky git... :goodjob:

Alan
Lucky yep smile2 , but mostly because of a large amount of hard work and time, making it all come together....Even then the weather sometimes conspires against you:
(& Yes those hardy moorland cattle are running from the incoming storm!)

All day placing the targets it had been stupidly hot/humid and I'd left the track below in clear blue skies. However by the time I'd climbed up 400' to the firing position, the weather took a turn for the worse! My forward observers/sentries (aka. my very good parents), were in position on the hillside pictured (midway 'down range') and had thankfully managed to find shelter in a cave on the lee slope. I on the other hand was surrounded by barren fields below, with only the single rocky outcrop at the top for cover (my FP). I spent an hour alternating between sheltering under the rocky outcrop when the lightning was distant, to laying in the marshy reeds in the open when the lightning was striking the ground within 300 yards, while being pelted by large pea sized hail the whole time! An interesting experience....I'd left my rifle in the field in front (keen not to be holding a 5' lightning conductor) and once the storm departed, after pouring the water out, did manage to get a few shots off but visibility was down to sub 2km.

My folks offered to return for a 7am start two days later (perfectly calm sunny morning) and thats when I managed to connect with the small watermelon in the video at nearly 2km.

Most of my kit ready to go that morning:

When I first approached the watermelon, I couldn't understand how the impact mark behind was perfectly inline, yet apparently the melon was untouched...

Then when packing up I moved the melon to discover this bullet track going straight through just above it's base - nothing spectacular, but hey 'a hits a hit' in my book!
Swamp Donkey

#14 Post by Swamp Donkey »

Tiff. Please enter your echo chamber