Red Dot Sight - Pistol Mounted

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

qws

#1 Post by qws »

Has anyone experience of mounting a RDS on a Pistol ?

Would you mount it directly on the slide ? - When in use the sight pattern can be obscured as the slide works so the shooter needs to re-sight for the next shot.

Or is it best mounted on a bridge so as the slide moves the sight is stationary and only the muzzle jump needs to be compensated for.

On a number of sites I have seen both being recommended, but would like the opinion of the forum members who have mounted and used RDS on a LBP
Chuck

Re: Red Dot Sight - Pistol Mounted

#2 Post by Chuck »

I assume it's for competition so maybe look at what others are using? You will need to re-sight anyway as the pistol recoils (or are you using .22RF??)

Doesn't seem to be any preferences but I would not want anything on a slide that wasn't meant to be there. A bridge type mount may work, can you try both before making any commitment / sending cash?

Wee article on red dot sights for you.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/optics/mini- ... led-carry/
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Lex

#3 Post by Lex »

Well, my advice is to mount the red dot on a bridge, flat as the sideways mount obstructs the FOV. If it's on a bridge you can also add a shield from the compensator gases.
My choice for a RDS for pistol is C-more.
Tony-c

Re: Red Dot Sight - Pistol Mounted

#4 Post by Tony-c »

I would go for C-more on its side, could be as simple as making a plate that goes behind the grip panel. I did try very briefly a minisight, think from shield?? very impressed with that

I did similar for a GSG 1911 but had the sight upright until I learned of the technique of laying them sideways

however I now run a buckmark, so just mount a scope or dot to the rail :)

this was something I quickly knocked up simply to test the concept, far simpler to actually lay the dot on its side.

now life is far simpler :)