Taurus tracker mounts on a 980?

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Sixshot6

Taurus tracker mounts on a 980?

#1 Post by Sixshot6 »

http://www.jackweigand.com/Taurus_Tracker_17.html

Anyone know if this mount will fit a Taurus 980 revolver? My dad is buying one and is trying to find a mount to fit a red dot sight. Can someone help?
Sim G

Re: Taurus tracker mounts on a 980?

#2 Post by Sim G »

No, different frame sizes. Weigand did do a mount for the medium frame 69/669 but the gun needs drilling and tapping to fit the rail.
You're probably not going to want to hear this, but I had an absolute pig of a job to find one. In fact a friend couldn't even find one in the US. Eventually, purely by chance, there was an LBR on GT at an RFD where the advert mentioned sped loaders and scope rail also available. Speed loaders were obviously not if interest, but he sold me the scope rail!

You're going to have a search if Lady Luck doesn't come your way....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sixshot6

#3 Post by Sixshot6 »

Sim G wrote:No, different frame sizes. Weigand did do a mount for the medium frame 69/669 but the gun needs drilling and tapping to fit the rail.
You're probably not going to want to hear this, but I had an absolute pig of a job to find one. In fact a friend couldn't even find one in the US. Eventually, purely by chance, there was an LBR on GT at an RFD where the advert mentioned sped loaders and scope rail also available. Speed loaders were obviously not if interest, but he sold me the scope rail!

You're going to have a search if Lady Luck doesn't come your way....
I'm actually glad you told me Sim, which Weigland mount will fit by drilling and tapping? Show me please. And do you know anyone who could bring the mount in? I am searching as Lady Luck is p*** in my cornflakes. I'll try and see where else I can find one. Thank you Sim and I always appreciate your critical and honest talking Sim.

http://www.jackweigand.com/tngsvr.html

is that the mount you mean?
Sim G

#4 Post by Sim G »

Yep, they don't make it anymore....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Sixshot6

#5 Post by Sixshot6 »

Sim G wrote:Yep, they don't make it anymore....
It's listed on the website. I could give them a bell about if they are making it again. I've sent them an email. They do still list a mount in the large section that might do. I'll keep looking.
Sim G

#6 Post by Sim G »

The only one listed is for revolvers made pre 2000. All other rails are discontinued.

Sixshot6

#7 Post by Sixshot6 »

Sim G wrote:The only one listed is for revolvers made pre 2000. All other rails are discontinued.
ok. Damn that killed that. Any other suggestions?
Brookers

#8 Post by Brookers »

Try giving Steve Pike at Shield Shooting Centre a call on 01308 482626, he had a number of Taurus mounts made a while ago and might still have some stock. I used one on mine and it's very good.

Brookers
Sixshot6

#9 Post by Sixshot6 »

Brookers wrote:Try giving Steve Pike at Shield Shooting Centre a call on 01308 482626, he had a number of Taurus mounts made a while ago and might still have some stock. I used one on mine and it's very good.

Brookers
Ok, will do, thank you. I'll call tomorrow as its nearly closing time. Will call first thing tomorrow. I'll also tell my dad.