How'd You Carry A Cap 'n' Ball?

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Tower75

How'd You Carry A Cap 'n' Ball?

#1 Post by Tower75 »

Ok - recent rumblings have got me thinking

It's 1855 - you're a middle-class businessman and you would like to defend yourself from thugs and muggers while out walking to and from your home. You purchase a cap ‘n’ ball revolver, but the question is, how do you carry it, safely? This is a pocket gun, so you have no holster.

Do you load only 5 out of the 6 chambers and rest the hammer on the empty?

Do you load all 6 and gently rest the hammer on top of the percussion cap, as for it to go off, the cap needs a sharp strike and resting the hammer on the cap should be ok, as long as you don’t drop the handgun.

The handgun you have is not an Adams, so it doesn’t have that crafty safety notch on the cylinder.

So, how were these things carried – or is the answer “personal preference”?

And no, this isn't a case of myself wanting to carry a cap 'n' ball around with me, just curious as to how you were meant to carry these things. :?:

Regards
T
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
Ovenpaa

Re: How'd You Carry A Cap 'n' Ball?

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Good question.

Load 6/6 and close the hammer is fine until you fall off your horse so the workable alternative is load 5 and close the hammer on the empty chamber. This does of course assume you are only going to be defending yourself against a couple of bad guys who are close enough to hit and you are a reasonable shot and you have time to get the thing out of a pocket and cock it over a live chamber.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#3 Post by Sandgroper »

Carefully!

Would you buy a cap and ball when you could have a pinfire revolver instead?
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Steve E
Home club or Range: Where ever I shoot.

#4 Post by Steve E »

Load 5 and drop the hammer on the empty chamber, its how them cowboys that had a revolver carried them, even after they changed to metallic cartridges.
If you had a pin fire I would still only load 5 out of the six. Out of interest when I lived in USA in the 1980s in Idaho, the local Sheriff carried a Colt S/A in 45LC and only loaded 5 and kept the hammer dropped on the empty chamber.

Steve
Tower75

#5 Post by Tower75 »

Load 6/6 and close the hammer is fine until you fall off your horse
:lol: Drunk again.
No, if given the choice I would have a pinfire, just don't drop the cartidges :shock: . But I was just thinking about cap 'n' balls
Out of interest when I lived in USA in the 1980s in Idaho, the local Sheriff carried a Colt S/A in 45LC and only loaded 5 and kept the hammer dropped on the empty chamber.
Neat. A Sheriff with a proper sheriff handgun.
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
dave_303

#6 Post by dave_303 »

Sandgroper wrote:Carefully!

Pinfire's wouldn't be much safer, the pin still protrudes so it's still like carrying a cap and ball, just quicker to reload in theory.